Gps dog collar

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Which one are you using and how does it do in deep canyons and long distances? Looking to get one for my birddog and was wondering what my options are. Would like a gps unit that shows location and status (treed, on point, moving) beep and current would be ideal, thanks

I have been using the garmin Astro 220 since it came out, so I'm sure they have gotten even better since then. I typically run 2-3 GSP's on it at a time. Most of the time I'm in Nevada chukar country, so as you know big steep, country with deep canyons and easy for a dog to not only get out of sight in a hurry but cover a significant amount of ground. I have it set up to give a simple, single beep once on point and like to be able to watch the dogs response on the screen if I give a blast of the whistle or have to nick with an e-collar. I don't have any issues with losing a signal and can't say enough good about the system, gives a great piece of mind.

nidaho

FNG
go to garmin web site and they will have what you need I hound hunt and use the alpha set up I can shock, tone, see where they are at it has a lighted collar that can be turned on if they are out after dark, it can tell you treed pointe or sitting down, barks per minute, the range depends on the terrain our average in the mountains of Idaho is about 2 miles. if it was flat out they say 9 miles but they transmit by line of site so terrain is the deciding factor. du supply is where I buy mine.

kickemall

WKR
Pretty much what nidaho said. Especially dealing with DU supply, their customer service is the best and there's a learning curve but DU will walk you through anything you encounter. For a bird dog you might take a look at the tt15 mini instead of the tt15, you really don't loose to much with the mini and its substantially lighter. If its for a GSP or similar size dog it really doesn't matter as they're big enough to wear either. I also recommend the Alpha unit because it has everything in one control, track, shock, lights, tone. Make sure you get the flexible extended range antenna for the receiver, it makes a difference. You can order quick connects to change antennas but all you really need is the extended range flexible. The range is very variable depending on terrain and you will lose location fairly regularly in big country. Just get high or go to where it showed the collar last and it will pick it up. They are worth every penny you pay for them.

Last edited:
OP
Idahomnts

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input fellas, it is for a gsp , I have a couple of friends that run the alphas but are constantly losing connection in chukar country and was seeing what else is out there , is it from the latest update or just an inevitable flaw that they hopefully get better, I know it will be much better than losing my dog or missing points as I give him the go ahead because for the life of me I can't find him lol
So what else besides garmin ? Anything with a display panel
Seen a collar able to connect with smartphone and offline service any users out there?

kickemall

WKR
I can't imagine ever losing connection with a bird dog while chukar hunting. They must range a lot farther, and I mean a lot, than I realize. I'm not familiar with any other brands so I can't help you there. When I said you'll lose connection but can get it back I was referring to hounds going over a ridge a long ways away. Almost any terrain under a 1/2 mile they should stay connected. Good luck!

nidaho

FNG
if the collars and hand held unit are not updated that could be the problem. I could imagine loosing reception in open chucker country. we run bears with 8 to 10 dogs and they go miles some times running all day. we do loose reception at about 1.5 to 2 miles but that is in steep rough treed terrain. I don't know of any other collar that would out track the alpha.

530Chukar

WKR
I've got the Astro 320 with the newer T5 collar. Used primarily for chukar hunting in Nevada, shed hunting steep thick cover in California and just running the dog while out on the quads. No real connectivity issues but I do not let my dog range out more than a couple hundred yards at most while hunting. It's very nice peace of mind to have allowing the dog to run and range out but still knowing exactly where they are and what they're doing. I've only had a couple issues while hunting where the receiver will pickup interference from another collar running the same frequency. I've had this happen several times with no one within miles that I was aware of so I'm thinking this could be a small glitch that arises sometimes.