GPS for Off road trail and navigating?

sootrat

FNG
I love to ride the trails in Wisconsin but also want a unit for hunting our national forests. Any recommendations?

I use onX for hunting and backcountry navigator for off-road, but have used onX off-road (trial version) and it was pretty nice. I just didn't want to spend the extra money for another OnX. I have a buddy who uses Gaia for everything and it is only $40 a year for the entire country. Both are great, Gaia is a little more in-depth but a crap ton of features and onX has less features but easier to use.

I’ve been using BaseMap and found they have the trails in my area. I think BaseMap is less expensive than Gia and OnX. It’s convenient to have the trails on my phone but I also like that I found some of these trails on my own without internet and being able to see where they end up without just walking them takes some of the fun and sense of discovery out of it.

come2elmo

WKR
I use onX for hunting and backcountry navigator for off-road, but have used onX off-road (trial version) and it was pretty nice. I just didn't want to spend the extra money for another OnX. I have a buddy who uses Gaia for everything and it is only $40 a year for the entire country. Both are great, Gaia is a little more in-depth but a crap ton of features and onX has less features but easier to use.
It may have changed but at one point having onx hunt gave you access to the off-road version too.

Slugz

WKR
I pretty much went to ONx for everything now, all seasons, all species. All modes of travel. Foot, Ranger, Quad and horse.

The situational awareness, flexibility to modify what Im doing or chasin and ease of operation really sets it apart I think.

When it comes to trails if it wasnt on the overalys I run the trail with the tracker on and save it. Now I got it in the system just like a overlay.

Reactions: dla

watican

FNG
OnX has become my go-to for pretty much everything. All species hunting, backpacking, kayaking, trails, heck even using it for house hunting now.

Reactions: dla
I use Gaia on my pone up here in Alaska. I like the high res imagery combined with topo maps, ownership, and recent wildfires layers. Relatively inexpensive and works well in areas with no cell coverage.

dla

WKR
I love to ride the trails in Wisconsin but also want a unit for hunting our national forests. Any recommendations?
I think you were asking about gps hardware, but all the response was software on your phone.
I used to hate carrying a phone (unreliable junk), but times have changed. So I use OnX on my Moto G Power - works good.
I don't think there is much of a market anymore for stand-alone GPS units.

jlh42581

WKR
I have ONX and an InReach mini. When it comes to riding trails all the time I am putting a fish finder in my buggy next week, what else is waterproof for $100 and I dont have to charge it. Doesnt matter that I am wasting the other functionality to me. I just need a way to get home. If I wanna look at an aerial or topo ill use the phone.