GPS Recommendations (Rino 750, 66i, etc)

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned an eTrex 20 for about 8 years now, and it works great. I like that it takes standard AA batteries (as does my headlamp), works fine with gloves on (no touchscreen), and has Topo maps I downloaded for free. Its also small, and has been reliable and durable. I am not a person who tracks my routes, instead I turn it on to mark a waypoint and turn it back off. I also have Carry Maps installed on my cell phone and use it rarely when I need to check land boundaries. Otherwise, I try not to use my cell phone as I have to remove gloves to use and it's not as durable. It also needs to be charged vs swapping batteries.

Some hunting buddy's have Rino 650's and love them. Sending waypoints to each other, the ability to talk via text message, and the project waypoint feature where the things they pointed out as useful. We often hunt in areas with no cell service. I'm considering getting a Rino 750 or 755t, however...

I've been reading up about the InReach products as well. I don't see anything that operates like the Rino AND has InReach. This means I would need either a GPSMAP 66i and loose the radio/sharing functions, or get a Rino AND an InReach Mini. The ONLY reason I'd like satellite is for safety. As mentioned, I'm often in areas that are a long ways away from cell service. A buddy has been airlifted twice out of the mountains, once during a hike where he fell off a cliff and another time while hunting when he got run over by his truck. Thankfully both times he was with other people and had barely enough cell service (and battery) to get help. I can see the value of InReach for cases like this, if it works as advertised. The 66i also looks smaller and lighter than the Rino, and no touchscreen is more attractive. Unfortunately, it won't work to communicate with the Rino's.

For me, the primary use is topo maps and saving waypoints (truck, camp, dead elk, etc). I can go days without turning a GPS on during a hunt. Being able to share waypoints and project waypoints might be useful.

Any input on this decision making? I can stay with what I have, get a Rino, get a Rino + something else (Spot/InReach/VHF? Radio), get a 66i... doesn't seem like there is a perfect solution out.

KineKilla

WKR
I cannot speak for any other devices but my hunting group has used Rino's for years. We have a lot of years' worth of waypoints, features and past kill locations saved on them. We also utilize the radio on them quite a bit since our cell phones don't work where we hunt. I have been using OnX a lot more as it's imagery is higher definition but it does not allow for two-way communication.

I carry my phone for digiscoping and my Rino when I hunt. I only turn the Rino on if we are separating and want to stay in communication otherwise we know the terrain well enough now that I don't worry about getting lost.

OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I cannot speak for any other devices but my hunting group has used Rino's for years. We have a lot of years' worth of waypoints, features and past kill locations saved on them. We also utilize the radio on them quite a bit since our cell phones don't work where we hunt. I have been using OnX a lot more as it's imagery is higher definition but it does not allow for two-way communication.

I carry my phone for digiscoping and my Rino when I hunt. I only turn the Rino on if we are separating and want to stay in communication otherwise we know the terrain well enough now that I don't worry about getting lost.

Thanks for the insight. Your use situation sounds a lot like mine. I have nearly a decade of waypoints on my eTrex 20, including kill locations. I'm hoping I could move them over to a Rino or 66i, but not entirely sure how to do that. Same with my maps, hoping they can be moved over.

How has your experience been with using the Rino radios? Are you using a wireless headset via bluetooth? I've tried the radio thing before just using Motorola radios and it's a mixed bag really. Maybe it's just our hunting styles, we aren't afraid to get out by ourselves and communicate well via hand signals. My main interest is in sharing new waypoints or being able to text. In concept they sounds great, but in practice those functions may be of limited value.

Based on your description, it sounds like you're using Onx on your phone and not a chip in the Rino, correct? I'm not sure if there are other options besides the Garmin topo's and Onx for chips for the Rino...and am not up to snuff on how Onx works on a Rino. My buddies have the Garmin topo's, but we all know the areas we hunt really well and rarely need maps.

KineKilla

WKR
My Rino will not accept chips while my friend's will but he has never used them. We have used Garmin's Basecamp software in the past. I don't like their annual fee to use that service. Now, I just keep the existing map and waypoint data on my device all the time to avoid paying for another year.

This is fine if we hunt our normal area but if we want to download maps for a different area, we will have to pay for it again, thus the main reason I use onX….that, and the resolution is far better on a phone screen than on a Rino.

Sending waypoints is a good use of the device. I have sent kill locations to friends when I need help with a pack out. The radios actually work quite well, even in heavy timber. I haven't tried to use it with a headset, I just keep the volume low when stalking or still hunting.

OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
My Rino will not accept chips while my friend's will but he has never used them. We have used Garmin's Basecamp software in the past. I don't like their annual fee to use that service. Now, I just keep the existing map and waypoint data on my device all the time to avoid paying for another year.

This is fine if we hunt our normal area but if we want to download maps for a different area, we will have to pay for it again, thus the main reason I use onX….that, and the resolution is far better on a phone screen than on a Rino.

Sending waypoints is a good use of the device. I have sent kill locations to friends when I need help with a pack out. The radios actually work quite well, even in heavy timber. I haven't tried to use it with a headset, I just keep the volume low when stalking or still hunting.

I haven't used basecamp since I first bought the eTrex 20 years ago, didn't realize it was subscription based now. I'm not a fan of an subscriptions and like you, will just work with the old versions as long as possible. Not sure what basecamp is supposed to do, but free Topo maps are out there for download. I don't do trip planning for my GPS.

Good feedback on the waypoints and radio, thank you! That's the big draw to the Rino for me.

I would do a search before you spend a bunch of $$$ on this...better options that have been covered to death in the past.

That's what I've been doing and am trying to do here. I've been considering a Rino or other device since my Elk hunt last Oct, and have played with the Rino 650's in the field. Looks like the 66i can project a waypoint too, so that's a moot point. Yes, I have searched here and read a significant number of threads about InReach, Rino's, etc. Doesn't appear that any are the perfect solution based on what I'm seeing. Figured starting my own thread with my use case might solicit feedback I haven't read about. Any recommendations on better options?

Superdoo

WKR
Im in the boat with Jlane. Based off of my research you could not use the 66i to text your buddies because the Rino's use radio frequencies to send the texts.
I harped on my hunting budies to pony up for Rinos the past couple of years, but now I'm thinking the 66i's are the way to go because you can text the units directly via satellite and share waypoints with no concern for distance. The down side is that by default the units only check for messages every 10 minutes.
When I was salivating over the Rinos the voice function wasn't what got me excited. The ability to see our locations was. That part seems possible albeit more cumbersome with the 66i.