GPS recommendations

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everybody
I was hoping somebody could give me a recommendation for a GPS for my dad. A little background first...
First of all, he’s 64 year old guy that has very little experience with electronics/computers. He’s farmed his whole life and doesn’t have a lot of use for “gadgets.” He bought his first smart phone this year and has recently learned how to text message and can’t turn on a computer.
That being said it will need to be a fairly simple set up. He hikes a lot on known trails so he can play with it and become efficient but the easier the better.
He is going hunting with a family friend this fall in northern Maine and hopefully if the weather cooperates he will be able to track deer in the snow. This is where the need for the gps comes from. I envision something that he can mark a way point where he starts and follow the line back at the end of the day and hopefully mark another way point where his big buck is laying?
I personally don’t have one so I don’t know how to help. Garmin Inreach maybe?
I appreciate the insight.

If you don't need sat comms I would get him the ETrex touch 25/35. That's the model we commonly use to teach kids and newcomers to the volunteer trail group I work with. Very simple trackback and nav to waypoint function. It isn't fancy but it's reliable and easy to learn. Minimal menus are your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Excuse my ignorance guys but would the onX app work the same way as far as finding your way without having cell phone service? Thinking it may be easier for him to use a piece of equipment that he already has?

Excuse my ignorance guys but would the onX app work the same way as far as finding your way without having cell phone service? Thinking it may be easier for him to use a piece of equipment that he already has?

With OnX, you can save an aerial map for a certain area to use offline. However, if you do not have cell service, you will not be able to see your current location within that map.

Rokwiia

WKR
I think GAIA is as simple as it gets. I have an eTrex30 and it is much more complicated to use. With GAIA, a waypoint can be entered in a nanosecond and a track recorded during his hunt.

If he has a smartphone already, he doesn't need to buy a dedicated GPS unit, in my opinion.

Last edited:

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with the above post. GAIA is super easy and their website has a good tutorial.

Jethro

WKR
With OnX, you can save an aerial map for a certain area to use offline. However, if you do not have cell service, you will not be able to see your current location within that map.

That is not accurate. Provided you have maps downloaded, you do not need cell service to see your location on the map. Goes for both ONX and Gaia.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider

Cripes. Have you even used Onx? Totally false. The phone gps uses GPS satellite signal NOT cellular, to locate you. Works perfectly with no cell service. Just download maps for offline use before leaving cell or wifi service.

Rokwiia

WKR
One of the real benefits of using your smartphone is you have a large screen to view the topo map and see a waypoint(s) and route(s). My eTrex 30 has a very small screen as do almost all dedicated GPS units. As people get older, their eyesight isn't as good as it once was so the large screen is a real asset.

As mentioned above, your dad can create a route in GAIA ahead of time, download the maps for that area, and he can put his phone in airplane mode when out on the hunt.

Given his age, I think both he and the family would benefit greatly from an InReach Mini. I would use the money to buy that rather than a dedicated GPS unit. He can also download the Basecamp app and have that to use if well although I think GAIA is much better.

By using the money for a Mini, the family will know his location while out hunting, he can check in with you, and also be able to summon help if a crisis arises. That's a huge win/win for everyone.

Rob5589

WKR
If he has a smartphone, OnX is great and easy to use. I recently downloaded Gaia but haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet.