GPS Route Plan-- Google Earth to GPS

Headed to CO for 2nd Rifle. I have been pouring over Google Earth (from KY) and my hunting partners in CO have put boots on the ground in several parts of the unit.

I want to plan and build several routes (both hiking and driving) so that I can use the GPS to navigate as an aid in addition to topo maps with the FS roads, etc as I know how easy it can be to miss a turn or a trailhead.

I have a new Garmin 64st, downloaded Garmin Base Camp and have Google Earth up and running.

What is the best way to build these routes and transfer it over to the GPS? File type? Software?

Or is the best way to drop waypoints and navigate to them along the way?

xziang

WKR
I do it the long and tedious way by plotting the ‘points’ on my PC and getting the GPS coordinates that way. I usually have the GPS on at the same time (turn of the searching for satellites) and program the way points in that way. Easiest way is to create a ‘new’ mark/waypoint on the GPS and then go down and edit the coordinates to what you are showing on the PC.

I am SURE there is an easier more technical way to do it but that’s what I do. As for transferring ‘routes’ can’t help you there.

Also this might already be a known tool but on google maps (via chrome) you can right click on a spot on the map and measure distance by clicking on the trail as you go along it via google maps measuring the total distance.

*edit* I also will mark ponds/trails etc. with names. Once I'm in the field I will usually use the # way points that garmin automatically assign to them and or if I add a name to a way point I put a B in front of the name to indicate 'boots on the ground' just easier for me.

Devonian

Lil-Rokslider
Search for .kmz to Garmin. I've never done it but there is at least one program designed to get the kmz from google earth onto your Garmin.

mcr-85

WKR
I sent him a PM but I will post this video for other people to see. I just went through making a sample route on Google Earth and moving it to Basecamp and then made a waypoint in Basecamp and showed how to get it on Google Earth. I save the files as KML files. There may be an easier way that I don't know of though.

[video=youtube;dK3Ntf2i5OA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3Ntf2i5OA[/video]

I sent him a PM but I will post this video for other people to see. I just went through making a sample route on Google Earth and moving it to Basecamp and then made a waypoint in Basecamp and showed how to get it on Google Earth. I save the files as KML files. There may be an easier way that I don't know of though.

mcr-85 has got it. Dead easy to save a route or point on google earth to a .kml, and then open the file in Basecamp or vice versa. Going the other way, you can also import .gpx files into Google Earth now, although they don't always come through quite as nice.

OP
D
Gents-- great data!! mcr-85: Awesome video!! Thanks for sharing, definitely on the right track now and probably saved myself some serious headaches.

OP
D
I was looking at doing this too and maybe keep a log of points. I think one issue could be map datum and then of course transposing coordinates.

In addition to MCR's awesome video I found gpsbabel.org which lets you transfer between other devices and files besides garmin!

Hope this helps someone as much as it has for me!

I do it the long and tedious way by plotting the ‘points’ on my PC and getting the GPS coordinates that way. I usually have the GPS on at the same time (turn of the searching for satellites) and program the way points in that way. Easiest way is to create a ‘new’ mark/waypoint on the GPS and then go down and edit the coordinates to what you are showing on the PC.

I am SURE there is an easier more technical way to do it but that’s what I do. As for transferring ‘routes’ can’t help you there.

Also this might already be a known tool but on google maps (via chrome) you can right click on a spot on the map and measure distance by clicking on the trail as you go along it via google maps measuring the total distance.

*edit* I also will mark ponds/trails etc. with names. Once I'm in the field I will usually use the # way points that garmin automatically assign to them and or if I add a name to a way point I put a B in front of the name to indicate 'boots on the ground' just easier for me.