GPS shopping

Brian F

FNG
I am in the market for a GPS. Will mainly be used for hunting and hiking. I think I would like something with topo maps on it but am interested in what people are using or recommendations! I am considering the Garmin Oregon 450t.
Thanks in advance!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Brian,

I have been using the Oregon 450 this year, and really like it. The "t" model is similar, but comes preloaded with low-resolution topos.

If you can find the regular 450, get it, and either get free 24k topos from gpsdepot.com or purchase one of the excellent huntinggpsmaps.com micro-SD cards for the state (or states) you will be hunting.

Some folks don't like the touch screen so much, but I really like it. I especially like being able to type in waypoint names without scrolling.

dotman

WKR
I would recommend any of the Garmin units that have the mapping function, then decide if you want a touch screen or not, radio or not, etc. In the current lineup they are all really good with tons of features. I have the Etrex20 and really like it, battery life is amazing and it Haas all the bells and whistles other then a magnetic compass.

wapitibob

WKR
I need a big screen and went with the Montana. I have the western US 24k ownership on a single 8 gig sd card and it loads in a few seconds. Touch screen has worked fine. Pretty nice to just drive down the road and get out once you cross into BLM to hunt Antelope.

Couple the GPS with Basecamp and Google earth if you use it and you'll be set. The vector based maps aren't high quality but will get the job done. You can add high end topo's to G. Earth and transfer all your data from GE/Basecamp to the GPS easily too.

dotman

WKR
Also I highly recommend the huntinggpsmaps.com maps, they are awesome and much more accurate (really surprised me) then the Garmin maps, well the 100k Garmin maps since that is their only product I have used.

bnsafe

WKR
i bought the rino 610 this year and loved it. easy to use even for a computer challenged guy like me. cabelas has a pretty good sale on the 655t.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I used backcountry navigator on my android phone this year. I like it better than my garmin. Free topo maps and free airiel maps too. Works with no cell service. You can also get maps that show private, forest service, BLM or state lands.

Beastmode

WKR
Either the Garmin Oregon or Montana I would highly recomend. The Montana is a little too big for me personally but I you want a large screen I would go that route. The "t" models are not worth the extra money. I would save the money and get the maps from HuntingGPSMaps.com

ktowncamo

WKR
+1 on the HuntingGPSMaps.com. I also bought the Oregon 450t this year and love it. Watch the backlight setting so you don't burn through the batteries. The "t" was only $30 more as I bought it on sale so I figured it'd be worth it as I knew I didn't have the $$ to buy all the states from HuntingGPSMaps.com.

rhendrix

WKR
Amazon isn't being helpful, what is the difference between the 450 and 450t.

Thanks.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Couple the GPS with Basecamp and Google earth if you use it and you'll be set. The vector based maps aren't high quality but will get the job done. You can add high end topo's to G. Earth and transfer all your data from GE/Basecamp to the GPS easily too.

Are you saying you can get GE onto your GPS. I purchased Garmin's Birdseye satellite imagery download to accomplish this. I have been very pleased, but GE would work just as well. Do you have a place with instructions on how to do this?

wapitibob

WKR
I'm saying, if you use goggle earth, you can add hi res topos to it, then transfer your waypoints, tracks, etc from ge to the gps thru basecamp. It allows you to internet scout with ge rather than basecamp, then get the data from ge to the gps.
Garmins topos are vector based, they leave a lot to be desired.

akrdkill

WKR
guess i'm in the dark ages...got a 60 csx & love it...tried a friends oregon 450 & didnt like it a bit, tried using it several times in fact...guess i'm old school...got huntingmaps on my 60 csx & it great