GPS study tracks grizzlies as they follow hunters

Trr15

WKR
That really is amazing. Definitely going to make me think next time I'm in grizzly country.

I suppose that makes all of us want to jump in the woods. On the plus side we hunters are feeding the cute furry creatures. I think if we did what some people think and just kept the "gates" to the park closed we wouldn't have this problem. All joking aside, that is a very scary thing. We will always have to keep bear spray in our packs guys.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not liking this for sure....my Idaho country is slim to run into one of these guys but in Nwest Mt it is always possible....A few years back I ran into a fresh track from the night before in the snow and it definately made me a little jumpy.........

mt100gr.

WKR
Yesterday I hiked in on grizzly tracks and killed a good buck. ...I hauled ass out. This morning, on new snow, more grizzly tracks around a spot I helped pack an elk out of yesterday morning.

Helped a friend kill an elk at first light then hiked into another spot and got my buck. We have trail cam pics and videos of grizzlies in there in the snow up until almost Christmas. They just troll up and down old skid trails and eat gut piles. We have seen some pretty damn big bears and if there's snow, you are almost always on bear tracks. (And more recently, wolf tracks)

...and yesterday we rewarded this behavior with more gut piles and deer/elk bones!!

ethan

WKR
I read that yesterday as well. Always a big boost in confidence. Bears on Kodiak are believed to have been doing this for years, a good friend pointed that out to me right before I left to go up there! Friends!!!