GPS Units

tfitter

FNG
I am looking at purchasing a handheld GPS unit for Christmas or after. Wondering if you guys knew of any new releases or updating coming from Garmin in the next year that a guy should wait to check out? Or maybe just fine with the current offerings.

This will be my first GPS unit - any recommendations on a particular one? I am leaning towards the Garmin 64st.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge bombs dropped on me. :)

-tfitter

Holaday

FNG
I’ve got the 64s and like it well enough. I had to buy map packs for it though but I believe the 64st comes preloaded. If you’re in Canada, Cabela’s has the 64s on sale right now I think.

I haven’t had a chance to make use of it in the back country but that’s next years plan (he says as he crosses his fingers)

I should be hunting but instead I’m on Rokslide...

ks.snow

FNG
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but I remeber when getting mine the difference between the 64s and 64st was that the st had pre-loaded topo maps on it. For me I just got the 64s because I'd rather buy onX maps or for me since I'm in Canada I got Backcountry Mapbooks map. Just my opinion though.

Holaday

FNG
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but I remeber when getting mine the difference between the 64s and 64st was that the st had pre-loaded topo maps on it. For me I just got the 64s because I'd rather buy onX maps or for me since I'm in Canada I got Backcountry Mapbooks map. Just my opinion though.

Yup you’re 100% correct on that one.

I should be hunting but instead I’m on Rokslide...

oldgoat

WKR
If you have a smart phone, you should try some of the navigation aps on it before you pony up for a dedicated GPS and NO you don't need cell service to use it as a GPS,b you download the maps at home over WiFi and put your phone in airplane mode to conserve battery. But if you decide to go the dedicated GPS route, the government just started letting civilians use the more precise signal or system whatever it would be and there should be GPS's on the market this coming year that have the right receiver for it, but that also should maybe mean there will be better deals on the GPS's that don't have it!

LandYacht

WKR
I tried the phone route and didn’t like it. Upgraded to a 64s from a Rhino and haven’t regretted it one bit. Can keep your gps out in the rain versus having to keep your phone in a dry bag and fight with making way points through a plastic cover in the rain. Can replace batteries that can do double duty in your headlamp or flashlight possibly too. Not having to carry a battery pack or solar charger saves some ounces . The old adage holds true that ounces add up to pounds. The phone plays double duty, so they are probably darn close to even weight.

I keep my gps on my bino harness for quick navigation and marking waypoints. I would have destroyed my phone by now between rain and abuse.

The 64s is cheaper than the 64st and you won’t miss those preloaded maps if you are getting more specific area map chips for your gps.

Try both, guys tout the phone route, but it didn’t even come close to being something that I thought was on par with replacing a dedicated gps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I don't seem to have a problem using a phone as a GPS, I keep it in my bino harness as well and don't have a problem using the phone through one of them dry phone plastic bag deals. Not sure what the battery issue is as my phone will last about as long as any GPS and a small charge pack doesn't weigh that much.

Definitely check the phone apps out as GPS's just don't compare to a phone app when you look at the cost of a GPS compared to what your phone will do on its own.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Im an odd ball; I've been running a Garmin 401 since 2011 and the 301 before that. Map, compass, protractor, 401, and maybe Onyx maps on phone if required for land ownership boundaries.
The 401 is so lite, simplistic and cheap, you would be hard pressed to find something better. It will take more abuse than anything else made and has yet to fail me. Highly recommend looking into it

wapitibob

WKR
I used two phones and a Garmin Montana this year. They all have strengths and weaknesses.
Gaia has a 30 day trial right now
OnX has a 7 day trial
A GPS with the sd card is bullet proof

LaHunter

WKR
Oldgoat, what gps system are you referring to that will be more accurate? The WAAS GPS system already is supposed to be accurate within 5 or 6 feet I think and this has been available for civilian models for several years now. Not doubting, I've just not heard of this.

Thanks

oldgoat

WKR
Oldgoat, what gps system are you referring to that will be more accurate? The WAAS GPS system already is supposed to be accurate within 5 or 6 feet I think and this has been available for civilian models for several years now. Not doubting, I've just not heard of this.

Thanks

This is way I understand it and I'm far from an expert but I think the wass and GPS are two different satellite, takes more power to read off both than just one, GPS alone uses less power, the GPS by itself is supposed to get better.

OP
tfitter

tfitter

FNG
Thanks for the responses guys. One of the reasons I am not looking into the phone apps is because my Iphone is owned by my work and I didn't want to take it to the woods/mountains. Anyone like the 64 better than compared to the newer / more expensive touch screens?

I appreciate the feedback!

oldgoat

WKR
I actually bought an Oregon 650T this past elk season to see if a touch screen dedicated GPS might be better than my phone, used it one weekend and returned it and got my money back, it was heavy, battery life sucked and the maps weren't even close to as good. I also had a hell of a time telling when it was turned off or just in sleep mode, which also added to the battery usage!

So I have tried the phone and don't really like it all that much the sat view is awesome but my phone dies fast and after loading maps for offline I don't even have that much and my phone is full.
I like a dedicated GPS the 60 has the hi freq dual whatever glonass ant. And that makes it more powerful in bad weather timber.
I'm still rocking a 60 and want to upgrade to the 64 just because my 60 is slow to pan across the maps.
Do get the st unless you really like those maps I think the chips are better.
And I think most of the new updates are more for geocachers and posting thing. Nothing I would use hunting.
I also have a spot and would love to have an inreach but there mapping software is not the same and I don't want to learn a new system.

Nwelkhunter81

Lil-Rokslider
I am also looking at the Garmin 64S, I have the OnX chip for my state but I didnt think that OnX gave you Topo maps? Or is it worth it to get the 64ST?