GPS Upgrade?

Ketron10a

FNG
I am beginning my first foray into western hunting. I have a good friend helping me my first trip thankfully. My question is that I have an old Garmin Oregon 400c model from my military days. I plan on using this in the back country during the hunt. Is it worth it to upgrade to a newer model or will this one suffice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Codangles

FNG
I am beginning my first foray into western hunting. I have a good friend helping me my first trip thankfully. My question is that I have an old Garmin Oregon 400c model from my military days. I plan on using this in the back country during the hunt. Is it worth it to upgrade to a newer model or will this one suffice?

Checkout the GoHunt app on your cell phone. I used it this year for the first time and I don’t think I’ll use a dedicated GPS again

OP
K

Ketron10a

FNG
Looking for it but don’t see it. I have onX. But I didn’t want to rely on my cell phone in the middle of nowhere

ohoopee

WKR
I think there are several good older discussions that cover a lot of the various options. Depends
on what (where) you want the device to do. The Garmin explorer plus can be found used pretty
cheap now. Rugged tough, good battery and emergency texting. The updated 66i improves on the
older model but is twice as expensive. A phone app will navigate well but its not as
tough and inclement weather and texting for assistance in remote areas may be difficult.

The user interface on some of the touch screen gps/phone devices is the only advantage I can find for my uses.

OP
K

Ketron10a

FNG
A phone app will navigate well but its not as
tough and inclement weather and texting for assistance in remote areas may be difficult

This is exactl what I was thinking. I mean the Oregon is nice but I put new batteries in it just to see if it would work and let it run. I accidentally left it on the window sill for 6 Hours and it had already eaten thru 1/3 of the battery life. I can still get a state specific chip from onX for it but wasn;t sure if I wanted to run with it or upgrade to something from this decade lol.

I switched to phone app as my primary and carry a solar charger. I keep it in a ziploc, the touch screen still works through the bag. I bring an old garmin 60csx in pack as a back up. Your Oregon is probably fine.

ZDR

WKR
I have an original Etrex I still use and its fine. I did by a used Oregon 650 here, but in reality its no more functional than the Etrex, just more convenient.