GPS Use

OK, so I'm not exactly new to backcountry navigation ... but I'm having a little trouble with my GPS.

I'm currently using a Garmin Oregon 450t.

The trouble is I'm not sure how to separate my "current tracks." For example, today, Wife and I went cc-skiing. When we got done, I "archieved" the data, cleared the "current track" and powered-off the unit. At home, I used the USB cable to hook up to the computer and download to Garmin BaseMap and GoogleEarth.

The problem: The track from our day seems to "attach" itself to other hikes/skis/horse rides and our trip home. Even though the power was off, I get a line from our parking spot straight to the house.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid ... but I don't feel stupid. I think I'm storing the current track correctly.

Ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Curtis C

WKR
I have never used that model GPS but I suspect its the way you are handling the files. The newer GPS units work on a file system (similar to pc). If that unit works like that you will have to open a new file when you want waypoints from a trip stored as its own trip. I know that sounds like a PITA but its pretty nice once you get used to it.

The Delorme I have works on a file system like that.

C

OP
J
Thanks ... I'll give that a try this weekend ... weather warming enough that we may be on horses instead of skis.