GPS vs OnX

Dcrafton

WKR
Take cost out of the equation!!!

OnX app for the iPhone or Garmin 680t???

What would you use and why???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
My Montana sits on the shelf at home.
Primary reason, phone has better screen resolution and is bigger. Another reason, it’s just simpler.

You're going to want your phone anyway in most circumstances. Less charging cords, weight, etc. to just take the phone. That's my reasoning on it.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
You're going to want your phone anyway in most circumstances. Less charging cords, weight, etc. to just take the phone. That's my reasoning on it.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

How is it when you are out of cell service range

Onx has been alittle glitchy for me lately, especially in the deeper timber areas. so i started carrying the 64st around again

Brendan

WKR
How is it when you are out of cell service range

You don't need service to use apps like OnX or Gaia, you download maps in advance.

Downside to a phone is if your battery craps out in cold weather, and they're not as rugged and durable as a GPS. I had battery issues one year and it was a pain in the ***.

Also, there's easily a hundred other threads on this, might want to do some searching and reading.

corncob

WKR
The nice part about the battery issue in cold is that the newer phones don't have this issue. I know firsthand that iPhone XS and newer models have batteries that aren't affected by the cold like the older models.

Brendan

WKR
The nice part about the battery issue in cold is that the newer phones don't have this issue. I know firsthand that iPhone XS and newer models have batteries that aren't affected by the cold like the older models.

Until they get a year or two old. We're talking in the last year or two where it happened to me. Not an issue when they're new, but batteries degrade in performance over time, and then couple that with cold temps and you can have issues.

Don't get me wrong - I still use my phone as my primary, but having a backup is a good idea. My Montana stays in the truck, and I have an Inreach and then a Fenix on my wrist.

corncob

WKR
Until they get a year or two old. We're talking in the last year or two where it happened to me. Not an issue when they're new, but batteries degrade in performance over time, and then couple that with cold temps and you can have issues.

I still use my phone as my primary, but having a backup is a good idea. My Montana stays in the truck, and I have an Inreach and then a Fenix on my wrist.

Agreed, always good to have some sort of backup. I carry a small Anker battery pack as insurance as well as my Inreach Mini and Fenix.

WMag338

WKR
I purchased the Garmin 66i. It has the inReach capability which I would carry with me anyways. My previous model was the DeLorme. I've been back and forth with carrying the GPS and iPhone using onX. My iPhone is definately easier to use & much clearer, but it is in no way as rugged or durable as this garmin. I have been very pleased with the 66i. Pricey, but if you look hard, they can be found for <$500 on ebay slightly used. A problem I have that others may not - i don't have a good way to store my iphone without it trying to fall out of my pocket or pouch. My iphone is the big 7 plus. My garmin has clip which i have attached to my pack with paracord braid. Much easier to use frequently and not worry about it jumping out or losing it. Another factor for me: If I break my GPS, I still can use my phone for navigation and calls when I have service. If i break my phone, that could be a game changer for a out of state hunting trip. Just one man's opinions.

PassCreek

FNG
I usually use my phone, like you said easier to use, but if I had to contend with unmarked property boundaries, I'd probably use the GPS. My GPS (Garmen Oregon) seems to be a lot more accurate than my iPhone. If I walk property lines with my phone, it keeps putting me on one side or the other of the boundary. The GPS didn't seem to have that issue.

pk_

WKR
OnX was too glitchy for me, cancelled subscription. Will try Basemap this season for property line data.
I Use Gaia gps app for navigation on my phone, always. Works perfect without signal and/or in airplane mode as long as you download the maps ahead of time(extremely easy to do).
Never used a dedicated gps unit.

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica

Don't get me wrong - I still use my phone as my primary, but having a backup is a good idea. My Montana stays in the truck, and I have an Inreach and then a Fenix on my wrist.
also agreed, same experience.

omg, i am soooo tired of carrying a million batteries and electronic devices now,,, my old school roots are showing.

let's see, phone of course,,, with some anker-style battery back up,,,
gps, (64st in my case) with a couple extra batteries cause i sometimes forget to turn it off
rangefinder, same deal, extra bat,
extra headlamp batteries of course,
ballistic calculator (kestrel),,
and if you have the new style scopes with built in bc, extra battery for that,
satellite phone, in my case,,, i'm old and weak so in case of heaart attack, wifey wants me to call her so she can tell me what to do in my last few minutes of life

sadly, i have a couple other items i need batteries for as well

Last edited:

corncob

WKR
How often do find yourself needing to replace batteries on your rangefinder? I change mine whenever they start getting low, but that’s only every other year or so.

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
How often do find yourself needing to replace batteries on your rangefinder? I change mine whenever they start getting low, but that’s only every other year or so.

i just think if you are hiking back in somewhere,, it is good to carry a spare battery, just in case. murphy's law will strike right when you see the buck of a lifetime.

wapitibob

WKR

put in a new battery for about $30

Brendan

WKR
put in a new battery for about $30

On my current phone the battery is several hundred because it's bonded to the screen. Sucks. Plus, when this happened to me it was a one year old phone & battery. Maybe a fluke, but wasn't expecting it and basically didn't use my phone for any navigation that entire trip.