GPS vs OnX

excaliber

WKR
I'll take the GPS any day over the phone using OnX. What happens when you download all the maps you think you need then find out you've moved to another part of the unit and you didn't download that part of it? That happened to my friend on our hunt with his Phone. I had my Garmin Montana 650T and was able to dial us into the new area.

On the phone I use Avenza pdf maps and download NF topo maps to the phone. True no sat imagery that way but I want to know elevations and terrain and where to get to a road, driveable or not. Put phone in airplane mode, battery lasts a good time longer. I have OnX as well. I usually have a garmin oregon with me as well and a compass.

Mesplay

FNG
I primarily use my phone/onx, but carry my inreach for communications and backup

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
backup battery for the pacemaker? :devilish:
not yet,,, mostly sex toys.

that is smart with putting in airplane mode, since onx works somehow while in airplane mode,,,but sometimes as i hike or atv around in bad cell areas,,, my phone will pick up signal enough for a few minutes to update texts and emails

anyway,, i bought a garmin 66i from rei to try out... it seems very similiar to my 64st so the learning curve should be short plus i will have the inreach capabilities. i just dont' know whether to pay for my satilite phone for another year.

muddydogs

WKR
I'll take the GPS any day over the phone using OnX. What happens when you download all the maps you think you need then find out you've moved to another part of the unit and you didn't download that part of it? That happened to my friend on our hunt with his Phone. I had my Garmin Montana 650T and was able to dial us into the new area.

With the ONX app I can download the entire state or a couple states under the 150 mile wide low resolution setting then load my hunting area using the 10 mile wide medium resolution, the 10 mile gives me enough resolution for my hunting needs and if things go sideways and I make a big move I still have good enough resolution with the 150 mile maps to see what I need to see to make a new plan. If I happen to pass through a town on the move where I can scam some WIFI for a few minutes I'll download some 10 mile maps. With my last phone upgrade I knew I was wanting to do all my GPS work with the phone so I spent the extra cash and purchased as much internal memory as I could, I think I could download an entire state in 10 mile maps if I wanted to.

pirogue

WKR
I’ve had a couple different Garmins, presently a couple 650’s, and ON X. The GPS has better compass reference and waypoint accuracy, but the ON X capability of zooming in and zooming out quickly makes it a no brainer to choose just one. And I just download maps in advance if I’m in a no cell service area. The low resolution is 150 mile wide map, so it’s not like your in a corner of a unit you didn’t download.

GPS leaves less room for error in my opinion if you get somewhere that has no service and by chance you didn’t have enough maps downloaded on your phone etc.

corncob

WKR
GPS leaves less room for error in my opinion if you get somewhere that has no service and by chance you didn’t have enough maps downloaded on your phone etc.

Don't you have to download the maps to your GPS, too? Or at least have them loaded on there, even if you are using the default one?

I can load whole states into Gaia with NeoTreks Land Use or Google Terrain, so there's really no chance I didn't load enough maps onto my phone. Maybe if you have space limitations on your phone that's a concern, but really that's a concern with the GPS, too. They don't have unlimited storage space.

OnX is my primary. I srill have my GPS at camp but normally don’t carry it in with me. The only downfall I see to OnX is if you haven’t already pre-downloaded your maps and you want to change up areas and don’t have signal....your SOL. So you have to forward think and download any possible areas you think you will go (which could be an issue depending on free data space on your phone). Otherwise I think OnX is the way to go.

Wumbo

FNG
I have both a gps and a phone w/ onx and often carry both. However, I'm getting away from using the gps due to how quickly it burns through batteries. What portable chargers does everyone bring to recharge their phone in the field?

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
I just started using OnX this year. I was a long time hold out. I carry two compasses (my tried and true Army Commenga, I’ve had since leadership schools and night land nav courses, and my watch) with printed maps. I always had a GPS for a backup. But OnX is so inundated/ intuitive I don’t know why I was holding out for so long. I can plot up a map
With my route, areas of interest and have property info all In one Interface. Changing among the different layers, zooming and topo to hybrid satellite on the fly.
OnX is everything I wanted a GPS to be. Now my Commenga is the back up. I carry an IPhone Plus model in a MOPHIE case so battery life and durability are not an issue.