GPS watch? Traverse alpha or Garmin Instinct?

Kindo

WKR
Can’t attest to the instinct but I have the Suunto and a Fenix 5.

Overall, I prefer the functions and battery life of the Garmin. The Suunto is nice for a watch and “feels” a bit more durable but the garmin is head and shoulders above with functions for working out and tracking that sort of thing.

GPS and battery life of the Garmin is overall just better. Altimeter appears to be a bit more accurate on the Garmin too.

If you do any bird hunting with dogs, the Garmin gps dog units sync with the Instinct which is $.

I wear the Instinct daily and really like it. I haven't run a Suunto, so I can't speak for that, but the Instinct makes it really easy to save waypoints or navigate to them, is very readable, and gets great battery life (as advertised). It's pretty good for tracking runs/hikes as well, and it does phone notifications reasonably well. Phone stuff isn't anywhere near as good as say an Apple watch, but with 2 weeks of battery life (assuming I don't track any GPS stuff) I don't care at all. The Suunto may be great too, but I think you'll be happy if you go Instinct.

I have the Fenix 5x and used it in CO last year (after I lost my Oregon). I liked it but really didn't use many of the functions as my brother still had his GPS. I used the breadcrumbs and didn't really set any waypoints. It is a decent backup, but I still prefer a handheld.

I do wear it daily, great sports watch and battery life is phenomenal. Recently did a 100 mile bike ride while running an aftermarket turn by turn nav app. Still had almost 70% of my battery left after 6.5 hours of riding.

I looked at the Suunto stuff for the "cool" factor, but always seem to end up back at Garmin.

• Banned
OP
BrayByrd

BrayByrd

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t attest to the instinct but I have the Suunto and a Fenix 5.

Overall, I prefer the functions and battery life of the Garmin. The Suunto is nice for a watch and “feels” a bit more durable but the garmin is head and shoulders above with functions for working out and tracking that sort of thing.

GPS and battery life of the Garmin is overall just better. Altimeter appears to be a bit more accurate on the Garmin too.

If you do any bird hunting with dogs, the Garmin gps dog units sync with the Instinct which is $.
Which Suunto? Traverse alpha?

• Banned
OP
BrayByrd

BrayByrd

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the Instinct daily and really like it. I haven't run a Suunto, so I can't speak for that, but the Instinct makes it really easy to save waypoints or navigate to them, is very readable, and gets great battery life (as advertised). It's pretty good for tracking runs/hikes as well, and it does phone notifications reasonably well. Phone stuff isn't anywhere near as good as say an Apple watch, but with 2 weeks of battery life (assuming I don't track any GPS stuff) I don't care at all. The Suunto may be great too, but I think you'll be happy if you go Instinct.
How long have you had your instinct?

renagde

WKR
Garmin Fenix 5x here. Wear it everyday and love it. I run and hike mostly. Great battery life, and seems to be built tough. The gps isn't that useful simply because it's such a small screen. But paired with Onx or similar it's a good setup. Just this weekend I was doing what was suppose to be a well marked trail. Came to the top of the ride, and the trail split. No signs, no blaze, nothing. I was 6 miles in and without my watch, I would have had no idea which way to turn. Pulled up the trail on my watch and we were on our way.

Btw, there's a used Fenix 5x in the classifieds right now for dirt cheap.

Kindo

WKR
I forget what the Suunto is since I don’t wear it much anymore but it’s essentially the Traverse Alpha without the nylon band and the moon phases and then my buddy has the Traverse Alpha. The Suuntos are nice watches but I’ve been more than pleased with the Garmin. Almost bought the Instinct but came across a great deal on a Fenix 5.

Regardless, I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Which Suunto? Traverse alpha?

Rossc

FNG
I also use the instinct. Cool thing about it is the instinct sends all saved way points, routes, etc to their “Garmin Explore App”. This information is also synced to your phone (if you download the free app), online, or if you have an Garmin handheld GPS. The information also works visa-versa. Jordan (Rokslide) did a really good YouTube review about two months ago. Worth watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trr15

WKR
Another vote for the instinct. I’ve only
Had mine for a month, but I’m liking it. It links up nicely to the inreach mini. Battery life is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a fenix 5 plus for a couple weeks now. I am very impressed with it. I wont use a dedicated gps unit again. The watch and a phone do everything i need and they are redundant if one breaks.

tdhanses

WKR
Another vote for the instinct, have had mine 9 months or so, whenever it first came out. Battery life is still very long lived and not showing any signs of reducing.

I've had the Garmin Instinct for about 6-7 months and am very satisfied with it. I don't plan to navigate using the watch as the primary tool. Rather, it would be the back-up for my mapping software on my iPhone. On several training hikes recently I've used both simultaneously to "track" the hike. The data is very consistent between the two. One gotcha though....ensure the altimeter function (based on GPS signal) is used as the primary elevation source. I think the default setting uses both the altimeter and the barometer to calculate elevation. Using a barometer as an elevation measurement tool is notoriously squirrely and requires constant updates with the current calibrated barometric pressure, which is unavailable in backcountry. The barometer will be very handy to track pressure trends. (i.e. a rapidly dropping pressure indicate a storm is likely rolling in).

Just my 2 cents...

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider

When you set waypoints or any markers, does the watch give you like a needle to point you in that direction? So if I was 5 miles from a pin a dropped at camp, would it point in a direction to lead me back? Interested in getting one of these.