GPS watch? Traverse alpha or Garmin Instinct?

I know this is a kind of old thread now but wanted to throw in my two cents. I think there's really only 3 watches you would even need to consider for backcountry and which one you pick would depend on your budget and how much functionality you need. For cheapest is definitely the Instinct. For the price (especially now) it has all of the basics you need and even works with the dog tracking app which is cool as it's one of their more budget watches. Second is the Suunto Traverse Alpha, this is again a great basic watch for a fair price and stands out if you're shooting as it has automatic gunshot detection. I think it's the only watch that offers this but I could be wrong. But from my research it was the only one I found. And finally is the Garmin Fenix 6. It's way above the others in price range but its functionality and battery life are second to none in my opinion. I think with the Fenix 6 coming out the 5 has reduced in price a lot and has practically the same functionality as the 6.

If money was no object I'd go for the Fenix. But if money is limited, the Alpha and the Instinct are both good, just depends what's more important.

This article does a pretty good job of comparing all 3, though i'd say the Suunto Traverse Alpha is really only the best choice if you do gun hunting.

Last edited:
Is it worth the money for one of these watches?
I like having GPS with me at all times. I use it for hunting but also runs and bike rides and such. I use it to check weather without taking my phone out, and like the notifications that come through for texts and stuff. Altitude/barometer/compass is also nice to have. I'm using a Garmin instinct and I'm pretty happy with it after about a year and a half with it.

By the way, the Fenix 5 is on sale at Camofire for $300 today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Is it worth the money for one of these watches?

I was wondering that myself and wanted to update from my suunto m5 to something with gps/compass and the ability to monitor my heart rate via a chest strap. Purchased an older model suunto ambit2 Sapphire and a chest strap for under $75 a few weeks ago. The watch and the movescout program have been very useful, being able to chart the workouts/hikes is very nice. That's a 6 year old watch and I would imagine the newer stuff has been updated quite a bit. Have not viewed gps on the watch yet but have looked at the routes/moves on the computer via movescout. Very useful if you are training via heart rate zones.

etch101

FNG
I was wondering that myself and wanted to update from my suunto m5 to something with gps/compass and the ability to monitor my heart rate via a chest strap. Purchased an older model suunto ambit2 Sapphire and a chest strap for under $75 a few weeks ago. The watch and the movescout program have been very useful, being able to chart the workouts/hikes is very nice. That's a 6 year old watch and I would imagine the newer stuff has been updated quite a bit. Have not viewed gps on the watch yet but have looked at the routes/moves on the computer via movescout. Very useful if you are training via heart rate zones.

etch101

FNG
I guess it makes sense. I have all the stuff already. Fitbit and Gps already. Makes sense to have it in one spot. Just not sure if I want to waste the money to save a little space.

I guess it makes sense. I have all the stuff already. Fitbit and Gps already. Makes sense to have it in one spot. Just not sure if I want to waste the money to save a little space.
It's nice to have, but might as well wait for something to crap out before getting a watch. I didn't have either when I got mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
If you have an Inreach Mini it connects nicely to the Garmin Instinct. I like all the data points these watches provide.