GPS Watches

marinesar

FNG
I am in the market for a new GPS, and noticed Garmin has a new GPS watch called the Fenix that is along the lines of a Suunto Ambit. I have traditionally carried a simple handheld GPS with a map and compass backup. These watches are intriguing to me. Has anyone purchased the Garmin product yet? Any thoughts? Any comparisons to the Suunto product? What about the concept in general? To me, the concern is short battery life. Any weight savings you would realize with the watch may be taken up with a portable charging system. I'll be interested to hear other's take on these things.....

I use a watch and a Garmin Foretrex 101. Too much business for me to handle in one package and the short battery life would do me in.

They are pretty cool! But the battery life pushes me away. I'd hate to have to charge my watch all the time.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had one, but wouldn't buy another (unless it was a good deal).

They have a lot if good uses for sure and the newer models have come a long way for battery life, but they still kill batteries pretty quick.

I agree with some of the other comments, I have considered a GPS watch for a couple of years now, but havent been that impressed with the battery life. I think I'll stick with my suinto vector and garmin rino 650 combination for now.

Have had two Garmin GPS watches (the big bulky red one from the 2004 era, and the more recent smaller one), and ultimately had to sell because of weak GPS pickup and battery life.

They are fun for tracking distance and training in the city, and when you can plan a run and give it 5-10 minutes to link a couple sat's, however, not in the backcountry.

OP
M

marinesar

FNG
Thanks everyone for taking the time to post....it appears my initial concern with battery life is shared by others. I still like the concept, but will have to do some more research....

I sell them where I work, they are not designed for what we do-spending all day in the woods. A hand held unit will serve you better.

crumy

WKR
I see these for sale all over but I am apparently missing something. What is the big deal with the gps watches that makes them better than the traditional handheld. I like my garmin oregon because I can put a chip in it and I can put a route in it. No disrespect intended for those that use the watches. I am just trying to figure out the advantages in your eyes.