Gränsfors bruks small forest axes vs hatchet

I am eyeballing a small forest axe. Thinking the 17+ inch handle will add some performance without a big weight penalty. Anyone used both the small forest axe and their hatchet that can offer a perspective.

my go to is a 14 inch Gerber hatchet but I am looking for something with a little more soul.

Drenalin

WKR
I haven't used the Small Forest Axe - I got a great deal on a Hults Bruk Tibro, so I went with that instead. I've also had the Estwing Sportman's axe, Estwing Camper's axe, and a Gerber Hatchet. There's no comparison between those - or any other hatchet I've ever laid my hands on - and the Tibro. It's a beautiful tool, does everything I've ever asked a hatchet to do (but better), splits wood beautifully, and the shape of the head lets me choke up on it for finer tasks. The only real downside is weight.

I can't and won't make an argument that it's in any way necessary to carry a short axe (or hatchet for that matter) on any kind of backpacking trip. But I did carry mine on a 3 day winter trip this year, and it was nice having it around (and a lot of fun).

I've used my friends GB handful of times.. Its hands down the best hatchet I've ever used.. I keep a friskars in my truck and even though it gets the job done, I'd much rather have the GB.. I think its lighter too

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the small forest and outdoor axe. I really like both. I use the outdoor axe for hiking when weight isn’t a concern, meat processing, and stove wood prep (small stuff). The forest axe lives in my truck, I wouldn’t want to split a lot of firewood with it or cut down any large trees but for the weight and size it is a great axe.

pirogue

WKR
I have the GB Small Forest Axe and the GB Wildlife hatchet. The Small Forest Axe will provide you with the extra results you are looking for. Hold out for the GB, you’ll be glad you settled for the best.

I have the G-B Small Forest Axe and it goes with me to Alaska every fall. If there's an axe (same size, weight and length) out there that does a better job, I've never seen it. I'm sure there are other axes which are very good and maybe equal to the GB SF. On a serious hunt of some length and involving true backcountry self-sufficiency, the short hatchet would have much less usefulness to me.

X's 2 on the hults bruk aneby. I have one and very seldom find myself wanting a hatchet over the small axe. I have several of the best made's (before they went out of business/sold to duluth trading) and they were fine but not the craftsmanship you'll get out of HB or GB for that matter.

I usually try to stay on point but i just wanted to ad i have had both,just love the thought of them.
Between the safety issues and the ease of a good saw i just don’t even think about them anymore.I find they are expensive to buy,kind of a pain to pack and sharpen and you can actually carry a small saw and a bigger saw and cut circles around the guy with a hatchet.

slatty

WKR
I have the wildlife hatchet and it's awesome for breaking down game and small tasks. For me it's not big enough as a useful wood splitting backcountry tool. If I was planning on splitting more wood (like a wall tent camp) i'd for sure want something bigger. I'd love to get my hands on the small forest axe.

VernAK

WKR
I have the G-B Small Forest Axe and it goes with me to Alaska every fall. If there's an axe (same size, weight and length) out there that does a better job, I've never seen it. I'm sure there are other axes which are very good and maybe equal to the GB SF. On a serious hunt of some length and involving true backcountry self-sufficiency, the short hatchet would have much less usefulness to me.
Gotta agree with Kevin as this is a great little axe. There's only one drawback......keep it away from the brother-in-law that likes to grub stumps with your finely sharpened axe. I keep mine hid in camp.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience a small axe is far more useful than a hatchet. I find hatchets hard to use well, and I swing a hammer plenty.

Oregonboy

WKR
I have the Small Forest Axe and it's a work of art. Can't recommend highly enough.

RedPaint

FNG
If you want soul, look to axes made in Maine prior to the 1960s. Manufacturers such as King Axe and Tool, Spiller, Emerson and Stevens, Peavy....You can find them on ebay or if you live in new england they show up at flea markets and yard sales. My best axe is an Emerson I bought for $8 in VT. It was made in 1934, very easy to sharpen and holds an incredible edge. The classic Maine wedge shape is great for splitting wood in camp. They are just as good or better than my Gransfors Bruks

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually don't pack an axe, a saw and larger knife is lighter and plenty sufficient for wood processing for a campfire and/or small tent stove. With that said, if I'm going through the trouble of packing an axe- I'd choose the small axe over the hatchet. The performance of the larger axe imho outweighs the slight weight advantage of a hatchet.

I am eyeballing a small forest axe. Thinking the 17+ inch handle will add some performance without a big weight penalty. Anyone used both the small forest axe and their hatchet that can offer a perspective.

my go to is a 14 inch Gerber hatchet but I am looking for something with a little more soul.
Have a look at Council tools as well, up to a size of a small boys axe.