Gränsfors bruks small forest axes vs hatchet

@Desk Jockey
Nice choice. Seems like the perfect backcountry axe to me, and I’m already eyeing the larger model for bigger jobs and some nearby trail maintenance, plus maybe one of their nice splitting mauls for the firewood pile.

But the small forest axe works for anything, and I doubt anything beats it for bringing along to the woods due to its combination of efficiency, versatility and portability. Also, it's just plain fun to swing.

OP
Desk Jockey
@scattergun

thanks. Looking forward to getting it into the woods. I have a Wyoming trip laid on for September and we were chatting about the packing list And group gear. I was quick to volunteer for firewood gathering. 😃

I love my GB forest axe. But if weight matters I carry a little 14" Fiscars and save 11 oz. I always carry a small saw if I plan on having campfires. Backcountry hot tenting I would take the GB in a heartbeat.

20200911_161909.jpg20200807_120027.jpg20220627_082932.jpg20220627_082945.jpg

@Mike Islander
Great photos. Did you make that collar yourself? Also, how do you like that knife? 🙂

I picked up the collar from Bone Valley, as I did the knife. The knife...definitely my grail. It's spectacular. I think they give you the most for your money, as they come with the sheath, fire steel, etc., as a set. They also make great bow saws.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Never carried an axe/hatchet on a back country hunt before, but definitely very curious. How often and/or which hunts do you choose to take one vs. leave it at home? The Duluth Pack store near me carries Gransfors products and the couple times I've checked them out the craftsmanship is darn impressive.

PA Hunter

WKR
I have the Wildlife hatchet I bought for an Alaska fly in diy moose hunt it was outstanding especially helping out with making meat poles. The blade sharpness amazed me. Excellent quality.

I looked at them but went Gransfor. i am a quarter Swede on my mothers side so it spoke to my inner Viking.
They've built up a brand following and their prices now match it.
Hults bruks are another very old Swedish axe company that make Stella axes, and have premium and budget lines. Often the only difference with the budget is the finish on the head, (hasn't had the finishing time put into it). Clean it up and it's good to go.
Thinning out the handles can often be a good idea, with all those axes mentioned.

Choice of axe shouldn't rest with branding or marketing but rather it's intended use.
Different head designs work well for different jobs, and different woods.

In saying all that enjoy your GB. It'll last more than a lifetime if well maintained.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have the GB Scandinavian Forest Axe and love it. However, if I'm packing something in I usually bring my Woodsman's Pal. Works as well as most any hatchet I've used and to me it's more versatile.

I’ve got the small forest axe, the hatchet and a few others and have had over a dozen of their axes. IMO the small forest axe is the best all around axe out there. I keep one in the truck and don’t go in the woods without it. Have given several of them as gifts as well. If I could only own one axe that would be the one.

I have a small GB - I found it cheaper to buy it from Ray Mears, they have his name on the handle instead of GB but the axe is beautiful and I love it.
It's gorgeous and half the hunt is the lore involved.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Wetterlings equivalent, which is just as good but no longer available. In answer to your question, it's way way (way) better than a hatchet. And you can always choke up on the handle for finer work. Mine is so sharp and can make feather sticks with it. And like you said, has some soul to it.

Any downsides? An axe this size is a compromise. Full sized axe split way better and chop faster...this is not your axe if you are looking to split big rounds or really knotty, nasty stuff. Also, some feel the midlength handle is a recipe for disaster, as a bad swing can connect with your shins. (Kneeling when splitting is a good technique with handles this size). In really cold weather, the harder steel + finer edge can equal chips.

Still, is there a better compromise between weight, performance, and quality? I don't think so. It's my first choice if pack weight is an issue, but admittedly gets left behind if that's not the case.