Grand Slammers?

R

rebecca francis

I've completed half my grand slam with a bow. I have the two hardest sheep left, stone, and desert. Where are you with your Grand slam?

Attachments

• sheep.jpg
    sheep.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 374
  • sheep 1.jpg
    sheep 1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 368

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nice work Rebecca. I was in the Palmer F&G office 3 different times for sealing different sheep last fall. I ask to see the list rams sealed at the office for the season so far to see some of the bigger rams taken, I saw a 42" ram and looked at the hunter name and it all makes sense. Congrats on a couple whopper sheep there indeed!!

OP
R

rebecca francis

Thanks Luke! Yes that was probably the coolest hunt ever! We are just in the final stages of putting the two episode show together. It will air on NBC sports very soon. The footage was incredible. I am actually writing the script today. I didn't realize you were right there in Wasilla! Beautiful place!

Attachments

• P8180261.jpg
    P8180261.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 76

weaver

WKR
As of today I still have 4 to go lol. Its one of my goals though to somday complete the sheep slam with the bow.

Attachments

• IMG_20140523_131220_830.jpg
    IMG_20140523_131220_830.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_1966.jpg
    DSC_1966.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_3013-1.jpg
    DSC_3013-1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 41
  • BigHorn-WM 1.jpg
    BigHorn-WM 1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Beartooth Lake.jpg
    Beartooth Lake.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 59

aggieland

WKR
I apply for tags in two states and may never draw. But its awsome to see you guys/gals with the ones you earned.. Would love to just look at one up close after a kill. Thanks for the pics and storys!

OP
R

rebecca francis

I apply in every state I can for desert, but have yet to draw as well. I sure hope it happens soon!

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
I put in every year. Biting the bullet on Dall's sheep next year. I've been puting in for around 8 or 9 years. I'm gonna give the Montana OTC a try and hopefully get a RMbighorn under my belt.

i'd love to hunt them some day. after seeing my new hunting video Adventure Bowhunter, i have a new found respect for the sheep and those that hunt them. what an incredible hunt that must be!

OP
R

rebecca francis

Yes, but the problem is....the are addictive. Once you start hunting them, you can't stop.

BMB where are you putting in for Dalls?

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, but the problem is....the are addictive. Once you start hunting them, you can't stop.

BMB where are you putting in for Dalls?

It's with Mike Bowden....

I've been putting in for RM Bighorn in CO, MT. Desert in a few other states.

OP
R

rebecca francis

Thats a beautiful dall crittergetter!!!!

And BMB good luck on the draws! You will have to let us know when you draw!

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a beautiful dall crittergetter!!!!

And BMB good luck on the draws! You will have to let us know when you draw!

I'm praying....i hustle after free range audad here in Tejas to fill the lonely gap. I'm a sheep fanatic just never lucky enough to draw and too much of a tight wad to drop money in Canada.....YET!

I was lucky to draw MT Bighorn and AZ Desert in 2006 which completed my Slam. I Got my Dall in 2005 and Stone in 2000. All but one (the Dall) were self guided hunts. I hope everyone is lucky in the upcoming draws. It requires persistence, consistency and of course, some good fortune/luck.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bryan, I read your story in the HFool about your AZ desert sheep hunt. I'd forgot all about it until I read your post. Great job! and as you said above, persisitance!

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I've completed half my grand slam with a bow. I have the two hardest sheep left, stone, and desert. Where are you with your Grand slam?
Rebecca, that is a whopper of a Dall sheep. Would you mind disclosing some details of the hunt? Was that out of the Chugach?

MuddyBull

FNG
I took a nice Wyoming Big Horn in 06, greatest hunt of my life. The hunt had it all.. great guide... Terry Bangart. Tough bowhunt.. hot and dry. On to rife: tough hunt. Snowed in camp for first 2 days.. and finished with a spectacular 167" full curl ram in a snowstorm. Terry passed away the next year after reaching his goal of 100+ guided rams. I am thankfull to have shared a mountain with him.
That hunt seems hard to top for me and if I never get to take another Sheep I am satisfied. I do however wish for a Wyoming Mtn Goat!

OP
R

rebecca francis

That's awesome MuddyBull! Sounds like a great hunt with a great guy!

OP
R

rebecca francis

Rebecca, that is a whopper of a Dall sheep. Would you mind disclosing some details of the hunt? Was that out of the Chugach?

CtP Yes my hunt was in the Chugach. Area 13d. My husband is a guide and went with me, as I am a non-resident. We saw great sheep! It was filmed and will be aired in a couple months. Coolest hunt of my life! I also wrote a day by day article if you are interested