Gratuitous Griff pup post

Trox416

FNG
Brought home our newest member of the family last month, and so far he's been a blast. Had an early health scare with a hind joint infection, but we're back in business and he's learning quick. Meeting with a trainer this week to discuss training plan/options. First griff/bird dog, looking forward to plenty of field time, frustration and learning (for both of us) this season. imagejpeg_0(17).jpg20210714_062810.jpgimagejpeg_1(5).jpg

Got our first Griff this month also. What age did you start training. I'm at the 16 week defiant teenage stage it seems like lol

OP
Trox416

Trox416

FNG
Got our first Griff this month also. What age did you start training. I'm at the 16 week defiant teenage stage it seems like lol
We started basic obedience pretty early, in short stints. We're at 15 weeks and his defiance is getting worse every week.

Same here. I will say they are quick learners
Start training? The first minute of the first day LOL shape the behaviors you want to see from day one.
We started training day 1. I'm talking hard core bird dog training. It seems like the recommendation is 6 to I months

Same here. I will say they are quick learners
We started training day 1. I'm talking hard core bird dog training. It seems like the recommendation is 6 to I months

I put my dogs on tons of birds leading up to their first hunting season starting by 12 weeks. But, it’s all positive the first year so I wouldn’t say ‘hardcore’ training starts until after their first hunting season and by hardcore I would consider actual steadiness work, force fetch, etc.

The best advice I got was lots of birds they can’t catch. Let the birds teach them the first year and keep it fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: