Grave digger Chisel Tip broadhead didn’t open

Anyone had issues with them not opening? 35 yards double lung pass through on a bull elk and one side expanded half way and the other not at all. The bow is a 70lb draw. They were set to open with very light finger pressure. This was my first time using them on elk and it makes me nervous to continue using them in the future. Kinda bummed cause they fly identical to my field points.

A4EB07AD-F7FB-432B-B6EC-3F7ADDE4151F.jpeg

Gerbdog

WKR
I'd be hanging those up after that, not worth using again, dont care if its a 2% scenario of happening again.... its not working as designed. Lots (most?) mechanical broadheads are designed to fly like a field point, i'd be switching brands and designs fast. If you realy want dependability i'd switch to a fixed blade cut on contact broadhead and tune that bow for it. Dont gotta worry about anything expanding at all.

OP
streetdoctor
Is it possible they closed when you pulled it out of the ground? I know I've had expandables that weren't open when I got them out of the ground but the wound told a different story.

I went back today to look for the arrow and found it sitting on top of the ground about 10 yards behind where I shot the animal. Wasn’t stuck in the ground, not sure how they would have closed! It’s really odd to me considering it went through both sides of the animal. The bleeder that is closed in the photo is completely clean when you open it as well. Neither side is bent and both still open with light finger pressure.

OP
streetdoctor
I'd be hanging those up after that, not worth using again, dont care if its a 2% scenario of happening again.... its not working as designed. Lots (most?) mechanical broadheads are designed to fly like a field point, i'd be switching brands and designs fast. If you realy want dependability i'd switch to a fixed blade cut on contact broadhead and tune that bow for it. Dont gotta worry about anything expanding at all.
I do believe I will be moving to fixed blades and doing whatever I need to do to get them to fly correctly. I have about a dozen of these. I guess I will sell them.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
For elk moving part have no business on the end of an arrow. Go ahead and show me pictures of the huge blood trails. I don’t care about those. I care about the ones nobody wants to talk about.
Because that never happened before expandable broad heads. Hope that high horse never bucks you off, it's a long ways back to reality.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
streetdoctor
Didn’t mean to turn this into a mechanical vs fixed discussion. I was just surprised as the grave diggers seem to get great reviews. Being a hybrid I guess it’s not the end of the world and even if the bleeders stay closed it’s still creates an opposing wound channel, but for as tough as elk hide is it surprised me it didn’t open!

Bowser

FNG
My humble opinion is never use mechanical heads-ever. Check out Ranch Fairy or look up Dr. Ashby and his research. Changed my mind after mechanical heads continued to fail.

OP
streetdoctor
Did you find the elk? If that placement was good those fixed blades should have done the job.
For sure, double lung low right in the wheelhouse. He made it 50 yards. Was more concerned about future shots not being so spot on. Looking at the frontal profile of the broadhead even closed it has a lot of surface area. More posted wondering if anyone else has ran into this.

OP
streetdoctor
I suspect those blades closed after exit. Just hanging up on the fletching can allow them to snap closed.

Inspection of the wound should tell really quickly what happened.
I considered that but unlike a lot of mechanicals I don’t see anything that would cause it to close. I didn’t inspect that wound close enough when I quartered it. I didn’t find the arrow that day either.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Because that never happened before expandable broad heads. Hope that high horse never bucks you off, it's a long ways back to reality.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Wait…. You’re saying that before expandable broadheads guys had problems with blades not opening? 😂

I considered that but unlike a lot of mechanicals I don’t see anything that would cause it to close. I didn’t inspect that wound close enough when I quartered it. I didn’t find the arrow that day either.

View attachment 333231View attachment 333230View attachment 333228

Most mechanical will allow the blades to flop around once opened, I don't have experience with that particular head, but it's pretty common for a mechanical to close back up if they are a open over the top design. It's just as the arrow is slowing down the blades will close if no resistance is holding them open.

Take one and open it, then swing it and see if the blades will close.

Read1t48

WKR
Glad you found your bull. Congrats! The fact that it was a hybrid probably helped. More importantly, you made a good shot! I have always shot fixed blade but have hunting partners that have shot mechanicals. Each one comes with a horror story or two of the mechanical failing. With all of the good fixed blade broadheads out today, and the ability to tune a bow with today’s technology and support, I would encourage you to consider a fixed BH.
I am no expert but in my experience a properly tuned bow can get the right broadhead to fly with field points or at least very close. I typically have 2 to 3 different types of broadheads in my quiver and all of them group to my field points. And I actually hunt with an older bow that is notoriously difficult to tune.

BDRam16

WKR
One bleeder looks bent and both main blades look to have dirt in spots it wouldn't have if they were closed. I assume it opened and skipped off the ground upon landing and the impact closed the blades.

I would ditch the blades, but not because they are mechanical. Those are about the worst design for penetration I've ever seen. Pretty massive blades as far as fixed bleeders are concerned and I won't ever shoot rear pivoting blades. Takes up way too much energy. It's basically deploying a parachute. Two blade front pivoting blades where the sharp part of the blade is exposed. Even if it does fail to open, it's defaulted to basically a smaller diameter fixed blade. ie. like a SEVR or Rage hypodermic.