Grave digger Chisel Tip broadhead didn’t open

LBSpear30

FNG
If you want something that flies like a field tip, give Ramcat broadheads a try, they have always flown exactly like my field tips. They fly great and have been great for me. This one probably would have been a pass through if it didn't hit the opposite shoulder.20210916_100511.jpg

Aviator

WKR
I was on a northern Alberta bear hunt a few years ago the outfitter would not let anyone use mechanical heads, he said they lose more bears to mechanicals than anything else.

I refuse to use mechanicals after moving through heavy timber with an arrow knocked and the lightest brush on the broadhead from anything caused the blade to come loose and not stay set. These were Rage broadheads with the collar fyi. Decided personally a solid fixed has less chance of anything going wrong. Not dogging those that use them i've seen them work and work well they just aren't for me.

Those are badass! Another great design by Magnus. Great customer service too.
IMG_3673.jpeg
I guess it’s all perspective, but I would take my chances with most mechanical heads before I would shoot another 4 blade Magnus… their split ferrule is as much of a weak point as most heads with “moving parts”

That’s always funny to me when people claim mechanical heads suck and then suggest a head with a split ferrule

I like mike, and would probably shoot Magnus head’s exclusively if he made the ferrule reliable, or just a 1.5” 2 blade hornet ser razor

The above broadhead was shot into foam to confirm point of impact, touched up and in the quiver, and certainly didn’t hit anything hard enough to fold up a broadhead of any kind, big black horned 7x8 at 4 steps… still salty about that scenario

As you can see by the tip, it didn’t take much impact to fold it up, and if it was loose I would have noticed it when touching it up

I literally took it out of the pack, put it on an arrow, shot it once at 50 yds at a target, stropped it and put it in my quiver

I’m slow so help out.. when shooting a hybrid, if your concerned that a blade may have not opened, would it not be about the same situation as shooting a fixed?

View attachment 634270
I guess it’s all perspective, but I would take my chances with most mechanical heads before I would shoot another 4 blade Magnus… their split ferrule is as much of a weak point as most heads with “moving parts”

That’s always funny to me when people claim mechanical heads suck and then suggest a head with a split ferrule

I like mike, and would probably shoot Magnus head’s exclusively if he made the ferrule reliable, or just a 1.5” 2 blade hornet ser razor

The above broadhead was shot into foam to confirm point of impact, touched up and in the quiver, and certainly didn’t hit anything hard enough to fold up a broadhead of any kind, big black horned 7x8 at 4 steps… still salty about that scenario

As you can see by the tip, it didn’t take much impact to fold it up, and if it was loose I would have noticed it when touching it up

I literally took it out of the pack, put it on an arrow, shot it once at 50 yds at a target, stropped it and put it in my quiver
That head obviously slammed into something pretty solid. Most heads have some kind of a split furrule otherwise how would you attach the blades? But I will definitely take that over moving parts. Moving parts are the weak link in any machine. Hope you’re up there killing stuff RoosieBull!

That head obviously slammed into something pretty solid. Most heads have some kind of a split furrule otherwise how would you attach the blades? But I will definitely take that over moving parts. Moving parts are the weak link in any machine. Hope you’re up there killing stuff RoosieBull!
It did not hit anything harder than ribs, and maybe you don’t understand what I’m calling a split ferrule. It’s a failure point. I think at certain angles of impact it’s very weak

I was able to watch that bull for over 5 minutes after I shot him, saw the entrance wound plain as day and couldn’t figure out how he was still up, watching him at about 100 yds before he walked up the ridge and started bugling.

I personally put them in the same category as mechanical heads in durability, you would too if you saw what happened… the difference to me is at least mechanical heads are very forgiving in flight and cause big wounds (though they aren’t necessary to kill)

Almost everything has a failure rate, there are heads that don’t in practical terms on game… but an actual failure seems pretty rare today across the board.

Back in the day I saw a couple old satellites shed blades, but still did the job (though one took way longer than it should have and needed a follow up shot hours later) but the only one I have seen that failed to kill was that head.

Had another with the same head that I luckily got a follow up, shot a bull quarter away hit in the last couple ribs angling up and only got about 1/2 arrow penetration, but was able to shoot him again (642gr arrow and 70#) a bunch of hair got stuck between the ferrule and blade and killed penetration.

If one thinks a mechanical is too fragile for elk, it doesn’t seem like they could think a 4 blade Magnus is durable…. I see it a lot though