Grave Digger cut on contact

I have personally seen this head perform, blood trail was decent without a pass through. But you don’t get pass throughs very often on an elk at 97 yards. We found the broadhead stuck in the off side ribs, shot was 97 yards broadside. Bull went roughly 65-75 yards and was dead within 30 seconds. I don’t like mechanicals much to much room for failure but at least with these heads IF you have a mechanical failure you are still getting cut in contact with the fixed head. If I was going with a hybrid I would run these and I still suggest them to hunters over any mechanical when asked for a suggestion. When the blades deploy you are getting great cutting diameter, plus the cut on contact, as well as the mechanical blades giving you a second cut making it an X cut vs just a straight up and down 2 blade. Also with the set screw you can tighten or loosen the mechanical blades so there is less room for them to open mid flight, not dealing with o rings or bands is also a huge advantage. But the set screw can loosen in time and blades can deploy in flight. I’d play with them in the target to give you the best deployment.
Bottom line try them and you will see if your bow likes them, it’s just like a bullet in a fun some guns shoot one bucket great, the same model gun set up the same way may not like the same bullet and group. Part of bowhunting is matching the arrow and broadhead to your set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
If you can't get fixed blades to fly well, you likely have a tuning issue. Screwing a big MBH, which generally won't penetrate as well as a FB, onto the front end of an arrow that isn't flying well (which likewise reduces an arrow's ability to penetrate) on a big animal like an elk is asking for problems in the field.

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
You can do a lot better for elk and just like it was mentioned if you can't get a quality made fixed head to fly well, then you have a tuning issue. Look at the 12 penetration factors for Archery, there is a reason why arrow flight is number 2 aside from structural integrity. If you do not have good arrow flight then you will hinder your penetration greatly and mechanical heads generally arn't the best when it comes to structural integrity.

nickstone

WKR
I shot an elk with one at 55 yards, slightly quartering away- the arrow entered behind the last rib and was almost a total pass through exiting front of the chest. The arrow was sticking out to the fletching. The elk walked 10 yards and collapsed in a few seconds. I have also shot 4 deer with them too and and none went farther than probably 60 yards.

I would agree that quality of them has gone down, I wouldn't plan on reusing the head after I shot an animal, and last year I started to expericene problems with maintaining blade tension on the mech blade, there is a set screw that doesn't seem to stay set as good as it used to, and I believe I had a blade open in mid flight on a hog last year.

Beendare

WKR
Who had them before? was it no limit archery?
Yeah, then he sold out working for them for awhile.

Now he is on his own and making an improved version and selling direct on his site Evolution Outdoors. I've seen his head in action on animals....its impressive.

I'm not really interested in shooting mech heads....but I would shoot one of the new Evolution outdoors hybrids.

_____

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, then he sold out working for them for awhile.

Now he is on his own and making an improved version and selling direct on his site Evolution Outdoors. I've seen his head in action on animals....its impressive.

I'm not really interested in shooting mech heads....but I would shoot one of the new Evolution outdoors hybrids.

_____
I'm going to hit him up after your endorsement. I've shot the other model for the last two seasons

Edit-looked at the Evolution outdoors website and the product looks interesting but the sticker shock slowed my enthusiasm. I'm reaching out to see if I can get a single head to test before committing to a three pack @ $23 bucks a head.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
Your going to have horrible tuning with this head as well. The head still has a lot of flat planing surfaces. I think the tension screw introduces way too many variables as well. This head is also an over the top jack knife type deployment. The worst for penetration.

Beendare

WKR
Your going to have horrible tuning with this head as well. The head still has a lot of flat planing surfaces. I think the tension screw introduces way too many variables as well. This head is also an over the top jack knife type deployment. The worst for penetration.

You obviously have no experience with these EO heads.

I've personally seen the Evolution Outdoors heads fly well out to 80 yds. The 3 other guys I was hunting with in AZ were all shooting them and I was impressed. I can't speak to the price...I don't know, he might be having a problem getting them made on a large scale right now....I haven't talked to him in a few months.

Penetration with these is MUCH better than an avg Mech head as it has a good size COC fixed blade. That head was putting some deer, and Javelinas right down....pretty devastating. I don't post other guys photos....but man those things open some huge holes.

I'm primarily shooting a recurve....so I have been shooting my old heads.

____

KHNC

WKR
I shot these heads for two years. Killed two bulls , several deer and a hog. Penetration was lacking on a couple of them. Went back to Ramcat 100

Old thread, but I’ve taken just 2 deer with the Bloodsport gravedigger. One each for the 1-3/4” and the extreme. Both did a great job out of a 60# bow, but again just 2 whitetails. Ridiculous entrance. The smaller one exited, the other just picked through due to hard quartering away shot.
0489F092-2BCC-4611-8A2E-F239688876B4.jpeg

These broadheads are literally the best I have ever used, 0% failure rate. I got an elk and a bear this year. Speaking of which, how does your family feel about your hobby? My wife and kids hate hunting and I'm really worried about it. I would very much like my loved ones to share my interests with me. My daughter is 4 years old and sometimes she asks questions that really strain me. A couple of days ago, she said that the bear I killed should be buried and we should install a slant headstone for him. I didn't know how to react to her words at all...

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
You obviously have no experience with these EO heads.

I've personally seen the Evolution Outdoors heads fly well out to 80 yds. The 3 other guys I was hunting with in AZ were all shooting them and I was impressed. I can't speak to the price...I don't know, he might be having a problem getting them made on a large scale right now....I haven't talked to him in a few months.

Penetration with these is MUCH better than an avg Mech head as it has a good size COC fixed blade. That head was putting some deer, and Javelinas right down....pretty devastating. I don't post other guys photos....but man those things open some huge holes.

I'm primarily shooting a recurve....so I have been shooting my old heads.

____
Your right been messing around with this one and it flies very nice.

Attachments

• 20210218_123357.jpg
    20210218_123357.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 10

TravisIN

WKR
Big fan of the Jekylls and Hyde’s from evolution outdoors. He’s the guy who invented the original gravedigger. Here is the Jekyll in action. Pretty impressive . 2020 Indiana Deer Hunting-Late Season Buck-Self Filmed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk