Gravity filter

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I've always used pumps, and tabs. I didn't want to spend a boatload before trying one out.
Msr bag
Msr bladder kit
Rapidpure filter.

My question is for those of you that have a gravity filter, what issues do you see? I'm going to add a 3in section below the shut off with a quick attachment for my bladder.

Attachments

• received_891088341382597.jpeg
    received_891088341382597.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 103
  • received_280350439754473.jpeg
    received_280350439754473.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 106
  • received_1508834349306223.jpeg
    received_1508834349306223.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 104

motts

Lil-Rokslider
How are you planning on getting the water into your "dirty" drom bag? A lot of systems use a bag with a ziploc style opening across the top so you can kind of "scoop" from your source to fill it up; as you have it shown, I imagine you would need either a decently deep pool/puddle to submerge the bag or running water to fill it up. I'm not currently using a gravity system, but I still run into the same issue when using my 4L Hydrapak soft bottle and tabs, so there could be some other trick I'm not aware of.

OP
E

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Good point. Where I planned to test it I'll be by a lake. That probably clouded my view of how I was going to get water into the bag. If its shallow I would imagine I'd need a water bottle or something shallow.

Magnett

FNG
Having used the gravity system for years, I would say your top unfitered water bag should be like a Platypus 4L with nylon handles and a ziplock top with a capped spout on the bottom. The top opens up so you can drag it through the water source to collect water. I started with a long drop tube going from the unfiltered water bag to the filter but have since reduced it to like 12". Your MSR Dromedary will make a good clean water bag. Bad thing about filter systems is that they can freeze up in the winter and if there is water in the filter it can crack.

mro

FNG
I have a setup very much like yours (MSR dromedary -> hose -> sawyer squeeze). I don't have a shut off valve though. To stop the flow of water, I just tuck the filter back up into the MSR webbing so it's higher than the bottom of the bag. I usually fill from lakes and hang the bag on a branch. Sometimes I use a marlin spike hitch coming off a tree and hang the bag from that.

The biggest annoyance I've had is that the bag / filter will sometimes swing back and forth from wind. Not really a big though.

Filter. Slows over time. I take mine off and shake it in the opposite direction of flow effectively backflushing the filter. Do this every time. It really helps IMO.

C.payne

WKR
I have the platypus gravity works system and really like it. The two issues I have had is that the filters can freeze up and possibly crack and also if the source water is really silty you can plug your filter pretty quick. I back flush mine every time I use it and if it is cold out I make sure to shake out the filter. I have also put my filter kit in my sleeping bag at night to help protect it from freezing.
I agree with what has been said above. It is nice to have the ziploc style bag for shallow water sources.
I use a bladder in my pack and I have installed a quick coupler on my hose where it comes out of my pack. That way I can filter water directly into my bladder without removing it from my pack. This is a big plus to the gravity systems in my opinion.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I'm done with the Gravity units.

I've back flushed mine per instructions....they still clog way too easy...and the replacement filters are expensive.

_____

AndySee

FNG
I'm a huge fan of the sawyer direct thread filters, with two big Smart Water bottles. One is dirty and the other clean. If I want two clean bottles, I just chemically treat the previously dirty bottle. Lighter than nalgene and has yet to break.

The only issue I have had with mine is finding a good branch to hang the top bladder from. I finally took a length of tent guy line and use it to hang the dirty water bladder from branches of different heights or stumps. The clean water bladder rests on the ground. I was going to buy the Platypus setup but already had two Camelbak bladders and a Sawyer so I made my own. The handles on these bladders make it easy to submerge them or skim them across shallow water to fill. The only other gripe I have is it takes a few minutes for the water to filter through. Not an issue if I use the time to adjust my pack, eat, etc. An advantage I see with this setup is that if one of the bags springs a leak, I can just insert the filter into my main drinking line and drink from the dirty bag

Attachments

• Water Filter.jpg
    Water Filter.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 38
I have the CNOC > Sawyer Squeeze and drip water into whatever I'm running then. It works pretty well.

I will say, if it's hot and you've got three thirsty dudes it doesn't seem to filter fast enough. Last year I left my setup at the vehicle and we used my buddy's heavier MSR gravity filter and that thing can move some water.

StevenH

FNG
I have the platypus gravity works system and really like it. The two issues I have had is that the filters can freeze up and possibly crack and also if the source water is really silty you can plug your filter pretty quick. I back flush mine every time I use it and if it is cold out I make sure to shake out the filter. I have also put my filter kit in my sleeping bag at night to help protect it from freezing.
I agree with what has been said above. It is nice to have the ziploc style bag for shallow water sources.
I use a bladder in my pack and I have installed a quick coupler on my hose where it comes out of my pack. That way I can filter water directly into my bladder without removing it from my pack. This is a big plus to the gravity systems in my opinion.
I have the Platypus Gravity Works as well.
If you use fairly clear water, it lasts a very long time. Backwashing opens up the filter well enough, but it's best to replace the water with something clarified to prevent reclogging.