Gravity water filters

Nuke Man

WKR
Currently I use the steri pen method. Looking to add a gravity water filtering system to my kit. Looks like the big hitters are the Gravity Works from Platypus, Katyden, and MSR Hyperflow. Any pros or cons or comparisons of these systems? I know you can't let the platy or msr freeze, but not sure on the Katyden unit.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 10L Katadyn bag i use quite a bit. I absolutely love it and every time I take it out I wonder why the heck I pump water with an MSR or squeeze a baggie of water.
This past weekend we hiked up to a FS cabin on a lake and stayed Fri-Sun. Two people, two dogs, lots of tea and coffee and "water foods". Could have got by with the first bag full, but after finding a bit of open water closer to the cabin filled it up again for good measure.
Water filters in Alaska generally take a beating. It flows fast but I keep filters clean and work hard to find the least silty water; even if that means building a micro sed pond. :)
I don't take it on alpine hunts (no where to hang it usually) but I've never not been anything but pleased.
Fun fact: If you fill it up in the cold and have to walk too far to a warm stove, the drip (?) tube will ice up and takes a bit to thaw out.
That said, if you need to filter water for REAL winter camping, this probably isn't your filter. But all filters struggle to hold up/function in freezing temps...

Edit: Just saw your losing comments on freezing... I don't know of any water filter that can freeze and maintain it's original filtration capability.

Last edited:
Nuther Base Camp fan here.

[video=youtube;O_7N_xaURvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_7N_xaURvo[/video]

I've used them and I generally like them, but as soon as the filter freezes they are shot. So I like to have some coffee filters and micropure tablets with me.

As discopotato said if they freeze they're shot, so keep them inside at night with the fire or put them in the bottom of your sleeping bag. I go through quite a few filters a year because of clients leaving them on a tree at night and they freeze. I usually use a 5 gallon water jug on the ground and provide an extra to haul water with, then soon as they are in camp they can be gong the process of dumping and filtering

Love my Katatdyn! Never used in really cold weather but has froze up a little during elk season. Learned to hang it in a sunny place during the day and then wrap a towel or jacket something around it at night.

Two or people and it's the way to go.

DFB

FNG
I've got a Gravity Works I've used on two trips. I like it so far. It filters faster than I thought it would.

Heat up some water and put it in the bag, tuck it away in your tent wrapped in something overnight. Don't let the filter freeze.