Great Falls, Montana - what to do there?

2ski

WKR
Borries.....yesssss!!! Forgot about that place. It's like when food was food. Prime rib with horseradish that melts your brain out. Might make the drive just to go there for dinner. Thanks MT Warden!
Just realize that Tuesday is the one night for prime rib. And reserve yourself some prime rib bones and come back and thank me.

2ski

WKR
Literally everything that people have mentioned you should do.

Born and raised in great falls. The falls are all covered by dams. But go see all the dams. Driving out to Maroney and Ryan is an easy evening.

River's Edge trail downstream of rainbow dam will see hardly anyone past the first mile. You'll have it to yourself. It's like the best kept secret in great falls. If it was Bozeman there'd be 200 people on that trail anytime of day.

Giant springs state park is pretty cool and as mentioned, the Roe River is right there from the springs. Its the shortest River in the world. The kids in the class above me got it listened and two got to go on the tonight shoe because of it. Like 201 feet short. There's a hatchery right there too.

The Buffalo Jump in Ulm. Drive out from Ulm along the Smith River is a cool drive.

Dante's is the best place to eat in town. Mighty Mo is the best brewery. One of the original craft breweries is in Belt.

Old mining towns of Neihart and Monarch in the little Belts.

There's ice caves you can hike to in the Snowies. From the campground you take off and go to the top of the mountain. Look at the topo map of the Snowies and tell me you wouldn't want to hike there. Once you're on top, you can stay on top.

Bair Museaum in Martinsdale. Alberta Bair was kind of a badass. She would travel the world and get fine things and then shoot a deer on the ranch and load it into the trunk of her car.

Augusta. And the game range outside of it. You want to see wind just hang out in the rocky mountain front. Gibson reservoir up there. The Front is some of the coolest mountains you can ever see.

Egg mountain and dinosaurs in the Choteau area. Letterman lives in that area.

cgasner1

WKR
I also can’t believe that no one has mentioned the playground. Bunch of losers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
The kids in the class above me got it listened and two got to go on the tonight shoe because of it.

I was watching that night! It was pretty cool.

(taking this thread for my very own...) Going to make a trip to GF and try to knock off a few of your recommendations - can't thank you enough for the Tuesday prime rib night. I'd need a grief counselor if I drove all that way and...and...and no Borries prime rib.

Great Falls is a hidden gem and an outdoors man's (woman's, gender fluid's) paradise.

Read Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage, and then canoe float the Missouri River through the Breaks, plan to camp at old Lewis & Clark Corps or Discovery camps. Cowboy camp, look up at the stars, and wonder what your life would have been had you been born 250 years ago.

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Duh, see the falls ;). Seriously though, you aren't that far from Glacier, so go see it. If you arrive before 6AM, you can go without a reservation. The East side doesn't require a reservation. If you haven't seen Yellowstone, go there or fish the Madison.

I’m off work this coming Sunday and my girlfriend is here with me so we are going then. I’m thinking that I can be there before 6 am… are you simply able to enter the gate before 6?
I am looking at making a reservation today just in case though.

jimh406

WKR
Yes, you still need a pass of some type, but can buy one at the gate if it is manned.

You'll be on the East side, so no reservation required if you go to any entrance to Glacier on the East side no matter what time you get. Many Glacier and Two Medicine are nice to see as well.

For West Glacier which is a bit farther, you need to be there before 6AM or after 4PM. Passes are released every day though, so it's not impossible to get one if you are online when the passes release. Check out their site.