Great look for us real hunters....

bobr1

WKR
Seriously...this isn't hunting if you have a firing squad. I witnessed a similar event when my wife drew a hard to draw antelope tag. The area had about 30 antelope in it. We got up super early and got into a good position predawn to get into the antelope. As light started coming up about 10 trucks pulled up with a bunch of people walking in and they literally were a walking firing squad shooting free hand at antelope at 500 yards. They just kept marching towards them and shooting. There were only 15 tags and I heard at least 40 shots within a 5 minute window. Watched several antelope that escaped walk off limping with broken front and rear legs. Had bullets cracking over top of us and ricochets, it was not a pleasant time. I'd estimate only 4-5 were harvested from what I had seen and I talked to the game warden about it afterwards, he was really pissed off as he saw it as well. This was my wife's first big game hunt and had to explain to her that this wasn't normal and explain hunting ethics and that these type of people are what seriously hurt hunters when people find out about this, it might be legal but it is not ethical at all. People can say "it's legal" yeah it is but seriously if multiple animals are getting wounded and people are okay with that, there is a serious problem. That's the kind of stuff that can get the larger group of non hunters to start disliking hunters and start getting behind anti hunters. I've done damage control hunts with elk that had 500+ elk in the herd, at no point did I feel like I need to be lazy and starting shooting into the herd just because "it's legal" and it would save me time. I waited almost an hour when I was in shooting position to wait for the outside edge of elk to have a clear shot. Shot at 2, killed 2.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
Seriously...this isn't hunting if you have a firing squad. I witnessed a similar event when my wife drew a hard to draw antelope tag. The area had about 30 antelope in it. We got up super early and got into a good position predawn to get into the antelope. As light started coming up about 10 trucks pulled up with a bunch of people walking in and they literally were a walking firing squad shooting free hand at antelope at 500 yards. They just kept marching towards them and shooting. There were only 15 tags and I heard at least 40 shots within a 5 minute window. Watched several antelope that escaped walk off limping with broken front and rear legs. Had bullets cracking over top of us and ricochets, it was not a pleasant time. I'd estimate only 4-5 were harvested from what I had seen and I talked to the game warden about it afterwards, he was really pissed off as he saw it as well. This was my wife's first big game hunt and had to explain to her that this wasn't normal and explain hunting ethics and that these type of people are what seriously hurt hunters when people find out about this, it might be legal but it is not ethical at all. People can say "it's legal" yeah it is but seriously if multiple animals are getting wounded and people are okay with that, there is a serious problem. That's the kind of stuff that can get the larger group of non hunters to start disliking hunters and start getting behind anti hunters. I've done damage control hunts with elk that had 500+ elk in the herd, at no point did I feel like I need to be lazy and starting shooting into the herd just because "it's legal" and it would save me time. I waited almost an hour when I was in shooting position to wait for the outside edge of elk to have a clear shot. Shot at 2, killed 2.
Some of the responses on this thread just blow my mind.

Koby_Paul

FNG

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
Well, theres one man's opinion.
Are you from Montana or are you familiar with the current elk management philosophy? There's a lot of truth to what he said. I would never defend the actions of those "hunters", but there's definitely more to it than a bunch of dumbass "hunters" slaughtering a herd of elk. Until we quit treating cow elk like varmints in this state this will continue to be a problem.

Deadfall

WKR
just wondering how stupid are cow elk ?
one would think the first shot and away they go !
Unless these morons were shooting at running Elk ?
Rifle report will confuse a single elk for a second. Throw in a entire herd and 100 rifle reports it takes a god minute for them to get going. They get confused for a second