Great look for us real hunters....

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Come on guys....we’re all on the same team, right?

I don’t think so. I don’t like the idea of gunning down a herd of terrorized ungulates. I don’t want to be associated with that so I’m not on that team.

Proof that this method of take is unethical is that it made the news.

I realize that there may be hypocrisy in my statement because I have (and will again) participate in shooting at a flock of geese when someone says “take ‘em.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stonewall

WKR
I don’t think there is a population of elk anywhere in the country that could be compared to wild pigs in Texas or over populated white tails in suburban New Jersey or Wisconsin.
And pigs are a non native. Even then I have a hard time with leaving them lay, but I get it

Quin

FNG
It all depends on why you hunt. Many do it to prove something and make it as tough as possible.

Those guys evidently wanted the meat and most were totally legal about it. Probably real happy it was so easy and easy pack out.

You got nothing to whine about.
Hunt your way and let them hunt theirs. If they lose their right to hunt, whatchoo think will happen to your rights?
I don't know... if the non-hunting public decides they don't like this, you may lose your right as well. Just some food for thought.

Geewhiz

WKR
Guess it is where you are and what the animals are doing
Texas 30 / 40 pigs shot and left to rot, because they are like rats.
Some states the deer are so populated they are also considered to be a nuisance and are killed in masses.
Could these Elk be in the same category,?
I am a meat hunter and all of this is seems just a horrible waste, but then again I am not in their boots.
I am not defending any of this, but if it is legal who am I to cast a dark shadow on it. I chose to not participate, But how many of us would turn down free elk meat from one of these events if it was offered ?
Sad but true I would take the meat.

You clearly aren't from around here..

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
It all depends on why you hunt. Many do it to prove something and make it as tough as possible.

Those guys evidently wanted the meat and most were totally legal about it. Probably real happy it was so easy and easy pack out.

You got nothing to whine about.
Hunt your way and let them hunt theirs. If they lose their right to hunt, whatchoo think will happen to your rights?
I know for damn sure i dont hunt to prove how tough i am or prove anything. I hunt for the memories and meat. My problem is the lack of respect they showed these animals, herd shooting, wounding and never finding.

WCB

WKR
What difference is there shooting at an elk by its lonesome or with a herd?
That is not what this is about. The elk obviously had no where to go. I've seen it happen as others in MT. Either hunters surrounding elk on the roads or a natural barrier blocking them as trucks full of hunters show up and start shooting them. The elk run circles and guys just keep shooting.

Yes it may be legal but is just plain stupid in my opinion, and voiced that opinion to guys doing it.

Poser

WKR
What difference is there shooting at an elk by its lonesome or with a herd?

You’re asking the question in a way that skews what actually happened. The question you are attempting to ask is “what’s the difference between shooting an elk and 100 hunters shooting (or, rather, “shooting at”) an entire herd of elk?”

I suppose it raises the question, “how many hunters are too many when organized to hunt elk in the west?” I know some whitetail clubs in the South might have 100 deer hunters out with hounds. You may find examples of 100 hunters driving deer in Wisconsin, but as mentioned above, comparing elk hunting in the West to eastern whitetail hunting or hog hunting in Texas doesn’t really translate well. For that matter, I’ve also seen large groups of houndsman converge on a single bear.
In this case, I don’t have an exact answer, but I know it when I see it.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I don't want to defend the hunters shooting at a herd of elk like that, but this problem is mostly caused by surrounding landowners and FWP. Landowners don't let people hunt so you get large herds of harbored elk. FWP gives out way to many cow tags because the elk population is over objective, but there are few if no elk on public land, and the ones that are get pushed to private. people see these large herds and watch them till the cross a border and a shoot out happens. its pretty poor behavior by hunters, but the problem is a deeper one than just hunters behaving bad. Elk management is really jacked up in montana and causes these issues.

Geewhiz

WKR
I don't want to defend the hunters shooting at a herd of elk like that, but this problem is mostly caused by surrounding landowners and FWP. Landowners don't let people hunt so you get large herds of harbored elk. FWP gives out way to many cow tags because the elk population is over objective, but there are few if no elk on public land, and the ones that are get pushed to private. people see these large herds and watch them till the cross a border and a shoot out happens. its pretty poor behavior by hunters, but the problem is a deeper one than just hunters behaving bad. Elk management is really jacked up in montana and causes these issues.
Well, theres one man's opinion.

sndmn11

WKR
You’re asking the question in a way that skews what actually happened. The question you are attempting to ask is “what’s the difference between shooting an elk and 100 hunters shooting (or, rather, “shooting at”) an entire herd of elk?”

I suppose it raises the question, “how many hunters are too many when organized to hunt elk in the west?” I know some whitetail clubs in the South might have 100 deer hunters out with hounds. You may find examples of 100 hunters driving deer in Wisconsin, but as mentioned above, comparing elk hunting in the West to eastern whitetail hunting or hog hunting in Texas doesn’t really translate well. For that matter, I’ve also seen large groups of houndsman converge on a single bear.
In this case, I don’t have an exact answer, but I know it when I see it.

The issue with how you rephrased what you have in parentheses is it makes an assumption that the hunters did not aim with the same care as if it were a lone elk. The fact is it is not known.
I don't see a difference between one hunter shooting a solo elk, or two hunters taking two from a group of three, or 100 hunters capitalizing on the opportunity of a large herd. Folks are out to hunt elk, and if it is done within the bounds of the law, what's the difference?
I do have the opinion that the wildlife officer manager quoted in the article should leave his own personal ethics and opinions at the door when he heads out for work.

That is not what this is about. The elk obviously had no where to go. I've seen it happen as others in MT. Either hunters surrounding elk on the roads or a natural barrier blocking them as trucks full of hunters show up and start shooting them. The elk run circles and guys just keep shooting.

Yes it may be legal but is just plain stupid in my opinion, and voiced that opinion to guys doing it.

Some may say they hunted smart. Didn't folks use cliffs, rivers, other hunters, etc. To help their hunting success for the last forever, and still do to this day? A legal kill is no different than any other, that end seems to be either THE goal or a majority of the goal for every hunter in the field. Nobody is saying you need to hunt that way, just the same as people shouldn't be telling others not to hunt that way.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
FWP should of gave those hunters a reward for getting rid of the very bad over populated elk... occurring to their management strategy

Had a buddy send me this article. This is just unacceptable. I hope these people do not actually call themselves hunters. Makes my blood boil.

OP, Is it just as unacceptable as your thread post from early this week where you boasted about having a positive case of Covid 19? You went to great lengths to tell the world you did not quarantine the day you were told you were positive. Instead you drove out of Yellowstone County and headed west with your brother to a hot spring resort and restaurant knowing you were infected and still contagious determined that it would not ruin your hunt. And at the end of your post you whined you did not get a elk. I cant quote it because you deleted it.

I'm not a Covid fear monger, but your hypocrisy is lost on me. Its ok for you to knowingly spread a virus that's contagious, and is killings Americans daily, but not ok for hunters to legally kill elk? This was not a hunt. It was a elk shoot out that put meat in the freezers of 40+ hunters and over 400 lbs of protein from the confiscated elk into Meagher County food bank. People may not like the situation, but you have no hand in the deal that went down.
Your ethics and rational should be in check, not the dudes hunting legally in White Sulfur. You read a news article from a friend who quoted a source who was not physically present, and pass judgement on fellow citizens. Elk populations are over objective in this region, not human populations.
You could and may be responsible in the deaths of elderly and immune compromised citizens of Montana and America due to your reckless behavior.
Why did you shut down your initial post and delete and edit everything you wrote about your Covid 19 experience? It only took you one hour and a few call outs before you asked Mods to shut your post down.
I wasn't going to call you out on your Covid thread, but your logic is so skewed and hypocritical its hard not to call bullshit on this post of yours.

Rabbit57

FNG
So basically word got out that the herd was in a field on public land and all of the locals showed up.

100 hunters, only 6 of them were considered to have done anything that could be ticketed for.

Either way, doesn't sound like the kind of hunt I am looking for.
Agree. When I lived in Alaska, sounds just like...”the salmon are running”! Before you know it after work or call in sick there’s a rod every 6-8’ to your left and right. No fun.

Rabbit57

FNG
OP, Is it just as unacceptable as your thread post from early this week where you boasted about having a positive case of Covid 19? You went to great lengths to tell the world you did not quarantine the day you were told you were positive. Instead you drove out of Yellowstone County and headed west with your brother to a hot spring resort and restaurant knowing you were infected and still contagious determined that it would not ruin your hunt. And at the end of your post you whined you did not get a elk. I cant quote it because you deleted it.

I'm not a Covid fear monger, but your hypocrisy is lost on me. Its ok for you to knowingly spread a virus that's contagious, and is killings Americans daily, but not ok for hunters to legally kill elk? This was not a hunt. It was a elk shoot out that put meat in the freezers of 40+ hunters and over 400 lbs of protein from the confiscated elk into Meagher County food bank. People may not like the situation, but you have no hand in the deal that went down.
Your ethics and rational should be in check, not the dudes hunting legally in White Sulfur. You read a news article from a friend who quoted a source who was not physically present, and pass judgement on fellow citizens. Elk populations are over objective in this region, not human populations.
You could and may be responsible in the deaths of elderly and immune compromised citizens of Montana and America due to your reckless behavior.
Why did you shut down your initial post and delete and edit everything you wrote about your Covid 19 experience? It only took you one hour and a few call outs before you asked Mods to shut your post down.
I wasn't going to call you out on your Covid thread, but your logic is so skewed and hypocritical its hard not to call bullshit on this post of yours.
Wow. Yup. Your not a member of the human race if you knowingly had Covid and said the hell with everyone, I’m going on my vacation hunt.
In My state based on population 6% is the high threshold. We’re at 9% in my area! I’m sure it’s folks that go gallivanting around KNOWING they’re positive. Pisses me off