Great Looking New Pad

sneaky

"DADDY"
From Sea to Summit. Looks thing looks dreamy. 4" pad with a 3.8 R value for only 15oz in the standard size! What catches my eye though is the Regular length/Wide option at only 19 oz. This may replace my Xtherm for all but the later seasons.

https://seatosummitusa.com/collecti...insulated-sleeping-mat?variant=19512263278695
In the written description it says 3" thick, then in the charts it says 4". It was interesting to note, I read a review from Outdoor Gear Lab the other day and they had more complaints from testers on noise from Sea to Summit pads than they did on the Xlite or Xtherm pads. Looks like a nice pad, but there's a ton of options in that R value range that are lighter and/or cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
Interesting point on the depth being listed at 2 different specs. I've found the noise the Xtherm makes not to even be noticeable personally, although I'm sure it's a significant factor for others.

What I like about this one is how deep it is at hopefully 4". As well as the regular length and wide option.

I'm not familiar with any other options at 3.8 R value under 20oz that offers the width and depth of this offering. Although I admit it's been a couple years since I went looking for a new pad so I'm not totally up to date!

I'll have to check out those reviews. Thanks for posting.

mrgreen

WKR
I've been waiting for REI to get this in. I think it sounds like a great choice.

TravisIN

WKR
The specs seem pretty similar to the big Agnes axl air. But not that much feedback about those on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I am holding off on all new pads this year till everyone is on board with standardized ratings.

mrgreen

WKR
The specs seem pretty similar to the big Agnes axl air. But not that much feedback about those on here.

I had the BA Axl Air. I used it for a weekend in May/18. I felt cold coming up from the ground (the way I feel in a hammock w/out insulation under me.). This was in a 'Mid tent, 55-60 deg night, no wind. Never had that happen before. I returned it.

slim9300

WKR
Noisier than Xtherm? No way for me. Noise is the number one deal breaker after trying these pads. I share a shelter far too often and roll quite a few times in a night to sleep on something that sounds like a potato chip bag.

I just bought a second Exped Synmat HL Winterlight long/wide for my wife and as a backup to replace my old UL7. I like a warm pad and the certified R-value of 5.0 makes it nice when temps dip into the low 30s and high 20s in September for basically no weight penalty.

To the OP you should take a look at the Exped Synmat HL pad (notice not Winterlight model). The long/wide mummy specs are below but it has a certified 3.3 R-value and is 3.5” thick. Nothing compares to these pads in my opinion when you factor in warmth, comfort, noise, durability, warranty and customer service. In the past I couldn’t sleep on a mummy pad but this one has the perfect dimensions in LW. Its wide where it needs to be, long enough, and standard width where it doesn’t matter. But they make all kind of sizes.

00dc80747f1ff1d9172c0a88fe3a486d.jpg

Last edited: