Great Olympics so far

Spike elk

WKR
College football and basketball are the only sports left that I watch, and those are on the bubble. A life long fan of the NFL, fantasy fb, etc. I was done last year when they went woke. Judging by the ratings I was not the only one. Turns out I am a bigger fan of my country than of any sport. I am tired of rich privileged athletes, living the American dream, telling my how bad America sucks.

I find it difficult to put much stock in the mental health claim, she still had plenty of composure to go sit in front of the press, answer questions and did not immediately withdraw from all competition. She was mentally strong enough to put that goat on her outfit. She is no Kerri Strug, she is just a quitter.

You are either completely out of touch or a full on hater. . . She put GOAT on her outfit because she is the greatest. She hasn't lost an international competition in forever, they downgraded some of her signature moves because they don't want others trying them because they will get hurt.

She has competed through other injuries in the past at world competition's. But if you have something going on where you lose where you are while doing flips and twists. . . You don't continue doing it. Mental health, anxiety attack, vertigo, whatever it is, you don't risk your life or your ability to walk!

I have a gymnastics obsessed daughter that competes and we have followed Simone's career. She is the Tom Brady or Michael Jordan/LeBron James of her sport. She has dedicated a ton of time and effort into becoming the most decorated gymnast in history and she's just a kid. . . So please show some respect to her and those representing our country year in and year out.

If you were risking your mobility doing something that you had already won so many times, would you risk walking the next 70 years to do it just because of the stage you are on?

Btaylor

WKR
If you were risking your mobility doing something that you had already won so many times, would you risk walking the next 70 years to do it just because of the stage you are on?
I do it every year for way less. I had at least a half dozen treestand or treestep mishaps years before I ever even knew about safety gear for hunting. Every time I climb a tree there is risk of sever injury or death but I love bowhunting whitetails from a tree and will do so until I can no longer physically get up a tree. I doubt seriously you could find a single person that thinks MJ or Brady would quit on their team for any reason other than complete physical inability to continue to compete. I will give her credit for also withdrawing from the individual competitions but at the time of my post you quoted, she had not done so. Being the most physically gifted doesnt make you the greatest, esp in a team sport. It's about leading and working at higher level than everyone else and when the chips are down, it is picking your teammates up and pushing on. The greatest never say "this isnt fair, I quit". If you define my thoughts on this as being a full on hater, I am a ok with that because I will never view quitting as acceptable.

@Btaylor maybe I’m the crazy one but I don’t think Olympic-level gymnastics and climbing into a deer stand are very comparable. And even if they were, as a deer hunter myself I can confidently say that if I am ever show up to a spot and don’t trust the tree, the stand, or my ability to safely climb it, I just hunt from the ground.

The bottom line is she’s proven herself at an elite level already, it’s not like she folded like tissue paper her first time under pressure. I think any Olympic gymnasts that want to criticize her have room to, but the odds are that nobody on this forum has accomplished anything close to what she has. So yeah, calling her a quitter after she’s (probably) trained harder than you ever will for years on end, and being more successful in competition than you will ever be (again probably, because for all I know you’re Lebron James), does come off as hater-ish.

ahlgringo

WKR
Just a bummer she didn’t get the “twisties” a week before and could have let someone else on the team have an opportunity to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I preach this to my grandkids, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. From my days serving this country.

Btaylor

WKR
@Btaylor maybe I’m the crazy one but I don’t think Olympic-level gymnastics and climbing into a deer stand are very comparable. And even if they were, as a deer hunter myself I can confidently say that if I am ever show up to a spot and don’t trust the tree, the stand, or my ability to safely climb it, I just hunt from the ground.

The bottom line is she’s proven herself at an elite level already, it’s not like she folded like tissue paper her first time under pressure. I think any Olympic gymnasts that want to criticize her have room to, but the odds are that nobody on this forum has accomplished anything close to what she has. So yeah, calling her a quitter after she’s (probably) trained harder than you ever will for years on end, and being more successful in competition than you will ever be (again probably, because for all I know you’re Lebron James), does come off as hater-ish.
His statement was would you take risk. My comment was to point out that for things I love doing, I absolutely will risk injury. And while I am not the greatest at anything, I have competed at an international level so I know a little bit about training and commitment to a team. I am not trying to change his mind and he and no one else is going to change mine as it relates to this. He obviously holds her in the highest regard and that is just fine. She is in my mind the most talented and physically gifted gymnast in my life time but that has no bearing on my opinion of her actions at these games.

Looking forward to some USA wrestling!
Same here. USA has a damn solid team. Really looking forward to watching David Taylor, of course I like Gable Stevenson, Kyle Dake, Kyle Snyder as well. But I'd really like to see David Taylor do well, he's always been one of my favorites to watch. I always used to root for Taylor when him and Dake would battle it out in the NCAAs.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
Concerning Simone Bile, it seems like at 24 she simply became to old to perform at a world class level.

I looked up the winner of the Gold Medal in the all around womens gymnastic. The last 12 winners going back to the 1970's were all teenagers. All less than 20 years old. That is not a coincidence. Something goes on with a women that makes them the best gymnist when they are a teenager. It might be in the body or might be in the brain. It is not likely mental illness in the traditional sense, just the simple and predictable results of aging.

I completely support her pulling out to prevent injury.

Squincher

WKR
There has to be something serious going on with Biles. No way she goes from being an absolute stone cold killer all these years to a marshmellow over night. High level athletes keep problems under wraps all the time and I'll bet that is what she's doing.

OP
C

CoStick

WKR
Katie Ledeke and USA women’s soccer had great days. Dressel is a beast.

Mike7

WKR
Obviously the mental part of gymnastics is huge...just one small slip-up can lead to a devastating injury. It is an unfortunate situation.

The couple of young teen elite female gymnasts that I have seen were very tough...like wrestler or farmer tough (not your stereotypical millennial with helicopter parents).

I saw one girl who was complaining of mild bilateral forearm pain. She was only coming in because it was hindering her training, and also mom made her come in. She was still training at full speed. Turns out she had stress fractures throughout both forearms from training too vigorously.

KBC

WKR
I think the Olympics are a joke. It's a giant money maker that cuddles up to crappy places in the world and takes advantage of amateur athletes that make huge sacrifices to compete in the games. Sure, a small few of the winning athletes will get sponsorships and make good money for their efforts after the fact but so many of them, who have sacrificed so much for their country AND the IOC's profits, get SFA.

With that being said, I do not want to diminish what all the athletes do to represent their countries. I just wish they earned something equal to their output.

OP
C

CoStick

WKR
I think the Olympics are a joke. It's a giant money maker that cuddles up to crappy places in the world and takes advantage of amateur athletes that make huge sacrifices to compete in the games. Sure, a small few of the winning athletes will get sponsorships and make good money for their efforts after the fact but so many of them, who have sacrificed so much for their country AND the IOC's profits, get SFA.

With that being said, I do not want to diminish what all the athletes do to represent their countries. I just wish they earned something equal to their output.
I think for some, representing their country is more important than the money.