Great pieces from non hunting brands

woods89

WKR
I think this has sort of been done here before, but times change. I find myself gravitating towards solid color non hunting brands for a lot of my clothing. Seems like we talk about non hunting brand pants here quite a bit but other than that not a lot. Just curious what items have been a hit for you. I find that I can often get clothing cheaper or with more features if I skip camo.
This isn't a hit on camo. If you like it wear it and be happy. My hunting buddy looks like a Kuiu ad and I get along with him just fine.
One of my favorite pairs of hunting pants is the Propper Stl 2. Mine have been on two elk hunts and countless adventures close to home. Still in great shape. Last trip I wore them 7 days straight because I liked them better than the Wrangler pants I had along that are quite popular here.
The Wranglers are great also, just a little thinner and don't feel as tough.
Love my OR Crocodile gaiters.

Take it away.........

np307

Lil-Rokslider
My absolute favorite hunting shirt when I dont need camo (so basically any hunting except turkey hunting) is a banana republic 100% merino sweater I got dirt cheap on ebay.

I wore 5.11 shirts and pants in natural colors when hiking and hunting in Africa. They dried out fast and were tough enough to not rip on every thorn bush. We only rifle hunted so noise wasn't as much of an issue as for bowhunting. We lived in Africa (Swaziland) for 3 years and most African countries don't allow camo. Even in SA and Namibia where they do allow camo the PHs all wear green and brown. They also believe that real men wear shorts while hunting...

Patty stuff is good. R1, Nano Air light hybrid, Mountain Hardwear compressor pants, Rab Neutrino down jacket. Beyond makes some really nice rain gear. Black Diamond is great on the gloves and mitts.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got several Patagonia pieces that earn their keep during hunting season; Nunatak has covered my puffy jacket and pants needs.

Also Enlightened Equipment insulated mitts and beanie.

I do have a few Sitka pieces that are mainstays and just this year went w/ Kuiu gaiters, so not totally neglecting the hunting brands :)

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I've got several Patagonia pieces that earn their keep during hunting season; Nunatak has covered my puffy jacket and pants needs.

Also Enlightened Equipment insulated mitts and beanie.

I do have a few Sitka pieces that are mainstays and just this year went w/ Kuiu gaiters, so not totally neglecting the hunting brands :)

I've read your thread on that Nunatak jacket. If I wear out my current puffy........

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
*Costco “Head” brand gloves are great. I have 3-4 pairs of the light gloves and a pair of the heavy mittens that are great too. I don’t like that they are black, but I use them because they’re the best deal going. It’s silly to buy expensive gloves with how great these are.

*My whitetail hunting backpack is a Kelty Redwing. For a midwestern tree stand hunter it’s organized pockets come in very handy. I’ve also packed out meat with it in a pinch. Works great.

*My current rangefinder is Callaway brand that I won as a door prize at a business golf outing. It’s high end and works identical to a hunting model except it has more features that lay dormant for me.

*I have used an AR15 in 5.56 (.223) for deer and it works just fine if you take broadside shots and use bonded ammo. I live in a shotgun/Muzzleloader state and I took it on a trip to a rifle state. It was my work rifle at the time and I shot over 1k rounds through it a year; it made sense to use on short notice. I now have something more fitting for the task.

Interesting thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
Brooks range alpini hooded down puffy. Bought on a spring close out for around $80.

Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters. Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20. Therma-a-rest Z-seat. Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
For serveral years I’ve been using Taiga Works 1/4 zip merino top and down vest. Also one of their down sleeping bags. Good stuff....

Brendan

WKR
Prana Zion for Pants.

Darn Tough, Smartwool for Socks.

Ex Officio Boxer Briefs

Arc'Teryx is awesome, great warranty, but $$$. I have one of their Alpha SV severe weather shells - loud but bombproof for a hard shell.

OR Croc Gaiters.

A lot of my Ski Gear could probably do double duty too. I have a Marmot Jacket in Polartec Neoshell that I love, but never given it a real rain treatment.

I used an OR Helium II rain shell for a couple days this year - might be good for a passing shower, but water was wicking right through from pack strap pressure in some heavier rain this year. It is light and packable, but wasn't super impressed.

Jimss

WKR
Marmot precip rain jackets and pants are a fraction of the price of kuiu and Sitka at a fraction of the price ...and very similar in shedding rain

I wear a variety of Carhartt jeans shirts and jackets at work They wear like iron and are greatt in 365 weather conditions

Inversely, I use a lot of my hunting clothes, mostly base layers for fall and winter bicycling. Sometimes I show off a little bit of camo bicycling:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davescarp

WKR
I like lots of stuff from OR (Outdoor Research) in addition to their gaiters which are awesome