Great pieces from non hunting brands

I’ve got a badass 3/4 zip from Sport Hill that’s nearly a decade old. Some of their stuff is a bit fruity but that is my favorite base layer.

FreeRange

WKR
Patagonia nano air and nano air light are awesome. I run hot and own a Kuiu Kenai which is similar but it’s too much for me for an “active” insulation layer. Can’t imagine how hot the Kuiu Kenai pro is. Similarly the oft praised Patagonia R1 is too hot for me but the capilene 4 is a nice grid fleece for cold weather. I also use lots of OR stuff, really like the echo hoody as a lightweight alternative to the Sitka LW hoodie which is good but too hot for me anytime above freezing temps. The only hunting brand item I can’t find good non-hunting equivalents for are the Kuiu attacks because of the side vents and the Kuiu 3/4 zip base layers which are in my opinion the best base layers ever.

Last edited:

McCoppin

FNG
Wrangler authentic pants

Columbia fleece pullovers

Darn tough socks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have used a north dace thermoball jacket as a insulating layer under my jet stream jacket. It layers really well. I am not fond of the noise it makes when my binos rub against it, but that’s easy to control in the stand. Haven’t had a deer react to the noise yet, and that’s within 18 yards

Shraggs

WKR
Marmot precep and many layers from Patagonia too as well as smart wool and icebreaker. Like others.

When I was looking for a warm mid layer for extreme cold hunting and hiking I bought the ll bean merino wool commando fatigue sweater on sale for $60. Going to get more, warmest layer I have yet breaths and affordable. A tad heavy at 22 oz

Fox ragg wool gloves - been thru so many gloves but I keep going back to those. I have fingerless, the thin glove with texture and the 40 gram thinsulate added model. They range 7-10 bucks each. It was 3 degrees last weekend of Montana rifle and snowing - the thinsule one keep my hands warm.

Someone else mentioned these last year, but REI has a very light weight gorges mitten. If it raining I throw those over which every wool glove I’m using.

Outdoor Research Ferrosi hoodie jackets (lightweight jacket, grid jacket), Arcteryx Delta LT fleece hoodie, Arcteryx Kyanite fleece hoodie, Prana stretch zion pants. Helly Hanson rain gear for non active hunts. The rest I use First Lite for active rain gear, base layers, and puffys. Everything I get I wait for sales. Arcteryx rain gear is on my list when my current set up wears out.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the brands that I use have been mentioned.

I’ll add: Minus33 (base layers)
Terramar (base layers)
Eddie Bauer (pants, fleece and down)

I have used a north dace thermoball jacket as a insulating layer under my jet stream jacket. It layers really well. I am not fond of the noise it makes when my binos rub against it, but that’s easy to control in the stand. Haven’t had a deer react to the noise yet, and that’s within 18 yards

How packable would you say the thermoball is? I considered ordering the vest to layer under the uncompahgre when it gets real chilly but wasn't sure how much space in the pack it would take up.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Usually around this time of year Costco brings out their 6 packs of the Kirkland merino wool blend socks. I wear these in Fall and Winter everyday to work and around the ranch. Awesome socks and super affordable for a merino sock.

andydwyer

WKR
For the budget conscious stand hunter -- the Army's ECWCS gen 3 base layers are pretty darn warm. Layers 1-3 are Polypro, grid fleece, and a heavy polartec fleece that are pretty nice especially considering the price at a surplus store.

I also grabbed a 1951 heavy wool shirt that's pretty nice for a fall hunt.

Finally, Melanzana Wind Pro hoody is great, but not cheap. Windstopper fleece 👌

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Recently just splurged and picked a Voormi High E Hoodie. I have been looking for something better than the Sitka core heavy weight hoodie and the kuiu 260 fleece. I saved the money and bought this. Read a ton of reviews and was a little skeptical at first but after this past weekend with temps below zero and using this only with a first lite llano quarter zip as a base layer and no shell, I am sold on it. Drys quick, breathes well and regulates like everyone else advertises. So the Sitka Core heavy weight and the first lite halstead and other midlayers will be out of my layering system and replaced with the Voormi.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
I almost bought a vroomi but opted for the ll bean sweater.

Any more info you can add, what gram weight, Wright, durability etc ?

Chuck44

FNG
Well damn....I stopped by Voormi's store in Pagosa Springs two summers ago and tried on the River-Run Hoodie that I had heard so much about....but just could not make myself like it. I believe the inner fabric was not merino and it felt "stiff" for lack of a better word. I much prefer the soft feel and stretch of the KUIU 145.
Since it was summer (and very warm), it did not occur to me to try the heavier weight fabrics for hunting options....next trip!

npm352

WKR
OR croc gaiters for all my winter lion hunts...and I usually hike to cut tracks so they get some miles. Tried Sitka gaiters and for twice as much, they were a joke. Kuiu gaiters do not seal to my boots at all.

Also use a 20 year old REI rock climbing bag quite a bit.