Great White Shark off coast of NY vs Grizzlies out West?

IdahoElk

WKR
2PzlQcr.jpg

Rich M

WKR
The whole shark thing is feeding off people's fears.

My cousin said they have a little one hanging out near where he keeps his boat - it's 10 ft.

Caught a fat 8 ft tiger shark few years back - the girth and size of those big sharks is amazing.
Same thing for the big bears - incredible the size of their head and neck - and well everything else too!

Comerade

FNG
I know what to do with Grizzlies, I live around them and get them around the home place.
Anything that can bite me while I flail in the water is a big concern. Luckily , a self respecting cowboy would never go into the water in the first place....so I am safe.

USMC-40

WKR
I would take a grizzly encounter over a white shark encounter EVERY time. I’ve dove my entire adult life and thankfully I have never (at least to my knowledge) been near a white shark while diving. That being said - while in the Marines and after dive school we would fin not far from where our unit was on Camp Pen - one day a buddy and I were finning around some buoys set up for this purpose off San Onofre beach. We were finning just outside the breakers (150-200m offshore). During one particular occasion we noticed a smaller ‘container ship’ MAYBE 100m further offshore than we were. We talked about it, wondered what it was doing, and then forgot about it. Later that summer while watching ‘Shark Week’ we learned the purpose of the vessel we encountered was to catch and tag juveline whites. Long story short we only finned there when we HAD to after this. I’ve been around Grizzlies a few times, and while uncomfortable and fascinating at the same time, we encounter them in a ‘semi-neutral’ environment and I have yet to see one when I wasn’t armed. White sharks on the other hand we encounter in an environment that puts them near the pointy edge of the pyramid of predation and an environment that we are very vulnerable in. You’d get hit, probably released almost instantly, but most likely dead before you had any idea of what was occurring. Not saying this doesn’t happen with bears, but it almost never should. The image of the white sharks breaching after seals is the stuff that nightmares are made out of...

I don’t go in the ocean anymore. I’d wade the sand flats casting for red fish if I could. But, other then that, the ocean won’t see my feet. Too many things that can and will hurt you in it. And, the least Of those I worry about is sharks.

tdhanses

WKR
Sharks, Gators and crocs, screw them all, I’d take a Grizz all day everyday over the three.