Greater Idaho

crossone

FNG
So, I was just blathering on some poor OPs post and the thought occurred to me that I've been considering what the hunting implications may be for this Greater Idaho proposal where about 3/4 of southern and Eastern Oregon are considering becoming part of Idaho.

I understand that this is much more politically expedient for them than trying to create a new state and I understood why they're tired of being ruled by people in Portland but, all of those discussions aside, let's get to the meat of the matter.

Is this possible inclusion of the majority of Oregon intonthe state of Idaho going to create more or fewer hunting opportunities for the residents of what is now Idaho?

Say, for the most part, the IDFG manages things mostly the same, are there going to be fewer hunters per square mile or more? Is there a lot of good hunting in Southern and Eastern Oregon? Is there very much public land in these parts or Oregon? Do their timber companies play well with others?

I'm very interested in how to consider this proposal and need more information?

Cross

def90

WKR
As above, it will never come close to happening and not worth firing the brain neurons to even think about it.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
The state of Jefferson becoming a legit state would be awesome. I would love to see it happen. The problem is that the elected officials don't want what the people want. It will not happen.

I’d like to see this happen. There’s good Americans stuck behind enemy lines and I’d like to visit Jefferson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Greater Idaho idea will never happen. Idaho won't have them. I'm sure there's many, many good people in eastern Oregon, but Idahoan's would reject it soundly without hesitation. Creating another state is probably the only option. Idaho's people are tired of everyone flocking here when their own state blows up, as was evidenced by "Covid refugees" fleeing tyrannical governors last year. Plus, Eastern Oregon would have to shut down all the weed stores and make crack illegal again.....

Last edited:
OP
C

crossone

FNG
I didn't think about the weed and crack stores. The information I've read is that the state of Jefferson is the far more unlikely possibility because it would be creating another conservative state that would get two more conservative senators as well as reps. Greater Idaho would only be a change in Representatives. I haven't spoken to anyone else in Idaho about this, I'm surprised by the opinions that the State of Idaho won't have this. Have there been polls on this? I haven't seen a list of pros vs cons or anything of the sort.

Thanks to all for responding. Opinions appreciated.

Cross

It makes more sense for eastern Oregon and eastern Washington to join together and form their own state than for either to attach themselves to Idaho.

And I think that hunting opportunities would be worse if such a travesty ever happened to Idaho.

slick

WKR
But on the flip side, all of western OR would be NRs then and subject to those allocations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly doubtful it would ever happen. From a natural resources management aspect, it could have a positive impact on fisheries and game. ie Idaho control over more eliminates having to work across state legislatures and agencies for better management. Weed legalization in Idaho would be a huge boon to the economy and health of Idahoans as well. Crack dispensaries though...hard no.

WRO

WKR
Highly doubtful it would ever happen. From a natural resources management aspect, it could have a positive impact on fisheries and game. ie Idaho control over more eliminates having to work across state legislatures and agencies for better management. Weed legalization in Idaho would be a huge boon to the economy and health of Idahoans as well. Crack dispensaries though...hard no.
As a former Oregonian who moved to idaho..

They've ****** up eastern Oregon enough that I'd vote against it, the cancer that is Portland has spread all down the I 84 corridor and into bend etc.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk