Greenland Muskox

Jameson

FNG
I recently discovered Muskox hunting in Greenland. This seems like a reasonable alternative to Alaska as I’m not a resident and tags are hard to draw. Has anyone on here hunted Greenland that may shed a little light on the details of the trip. Logistics, conditions, outfitters, prices etc.? Thanks for any input!

AndyB

WKR

The above should give you a good idea for a start.
There is also a couple of links on there to articles written by people that have Bowhunted with him.

I haven't personally hunted with Frank (still saving my pennies) but he is your man if you want a wilderness adventure,
I have talked to him about his outfit at another Bowhunting event on a couple of occasions, and I know others personally that have hunted with him, all recommend him.

I will hunt with his outfit one day.

I think you may be able to get a musk ox hunt cheaper out there but they will probably take you an hour outside town on a snowbike to get it done.

With Frank its a 6 hour boat trip up the Greenland fjords to camp,..or a helicopter depending on time of year.

OP
J

Jameson

FNG

The above should give you a good idea for a start.
There is also a couple of links on there to articles written by people that have Bowhunted with him.

I haven't personally hunted with Frank (still saving my pennies) but he is your man if you want a wilderness adventure,
I have talked to him about his outfit at another Bowhunting event on a couple of occasions, and I know others personally that have hunted with him, all recommend him.

I will hunt with his outfit one day.

I think you may be able to get a musk ox hunt cheaper out there but they will probably take you an hour outside town on a snowbike to get it done.

With Frank its a 6 hour boat trip up the Greenland fjords to camp,..or a helicopter depending on time of year.
Awesome. Thanks! It looks like he offer exactly what I was looking for. It’s nice to have someone recommend an outfit that has some experience with them.

How much does it cost to get your trophy home?

What does the airline tickets cost if traveling from the US?

Whats the best route to Greenland

22lr

WKR
Wasn't able to hunt them, but saw tons of em! Would love to go back and get one. Its a humbling and extreme landscape. The white in the background is the ice cap.

DSC_0280 (1).JPG

22lr

WKR

You can get to Nuuk for around $1k, but as you hop North be ready to pay. Greenland Air is the real only flight option but you can get up to Kangerlussuaq without too much trouble. Schedules can be pretty unpredictable from there. I had the advantage of flying with my favorite Federal Uncle, but for most people, outside of those 2 cities it gets difficult.

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm booked with a different outfit for next spring. Was supposed to be this month this year, but that kind of went sideways. I'm only hunting muskox with my bow and picked a spring hunt so I would get the best hide possible. Even though it will likely be -10 to -40 F.

If you go archery, they have min arrow weight laws and fixed blade only. That said, out of the 6 fellows that I talked with about it, no one ever asked to see their gear.

My wife isn't thrilled about the frigid winter weather part, but she'll tough it out. Her incentive is a week in Denmark after we hunt.

Caribou and muskox are hunted later in the year when it's a lot nicer out.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR

I was told about 1K for tickets to Kangerlussuaq and about the same or a little less to get a muskox home. I'd figure 1500 to get both home.

That is if you clear it yourself through customs. Add $300 or so to use a customs agent like Coppersmith.

All flights go through Copenhagen and the Air Greenland schedule from there is, well, I have no idea. They only fly a couple days a week, and set their schedule only like 2-3 months out.

Jeremy

22lr

WKR
I was told about 1K for tickets to Kangerlussuaq and about the same or a little less to get a muskox home. I'd figure 1500 to get both home.

That is if you clear it yourself through customs. Add $300 or so to use a customs agent like Coppersmith.

All flights go through Copenhagen and the Air Greenland schedule from there is, well, I have no idea. They only fly a couple days a week, and set their schedule only like 2-3 months out.

Jeremy
I remember seeming the Greenland Air aircraft in Iceland as well. Pretty sure those were only to Nuuk, but they could have other options. Super easy to get into Iceland, at least with options of flights. Couple a Greenland muskox trip with some Iceland seal and puffins!

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
We flew Chicago to Iceland then to Greenland, plan For weather delays, was delayed one day to get to Greenland and and 4 or 5 days getting back, still well worth it