Greenville Texas

joe22657

FNG
The company I work for is building a new plant in Greenville and my girlfriend and I have been talking about transferring from Virginia. Does anyone know how that area is as far as community and schools? Also I know Texas is mostly private but are hunting opportunities without paying too much? Thanks

Trial153

WKR
I know the area well. Almost no hunting opportunities without forking up money for leases and traveling. Pretty much except for some isolated districts in the DFW area school districts are average at best.

gumbl3

WKR
I'm not too far from Greenville.. There's some public lands North of there, look up Caddo Grasslands, not a ton but it's there, plenty of lakes to fish. Greenville I would say school wise ain't that great, it's one of the poorer counties in Tx. But, you're only 15-20 minutes away from some really good towns. If it were me I'd look down towards Emory if you don't want city life crowded on top of each other or Royse City if you do, it's really grown in the last few years

huntertx

FNG
I from that area. In terms of Schools, think you would prefer to be in Rockwall. Royse city schools have improved but Rockwall has the best schools in that area.
Greenville is the extreme eastern edge of DFW (some may say it’s not even DFW at all). If you go E, N, or S it’s pretty rural.

there’s not much public hunting unless you like to duck hunt. If so, Cooper lake is pretty good. The good thing is leases are generally cheaper in East texas than other parts of the state. I’d say $1k-$2.5k per gun max but that should get you yr round access for deer, turkey,hogs, dove etc.

All the comments are pretty much spot on. Plano. Be warned housing in dfw are just climbing don't know about Royse city and Rockwall area.

OP
joe22657

joe22657

FNG
Thank you all. I don’t have to be in Greenville but I’d like to be at least 30 minutes from work. I’m not sure if they have broke ground yet but I know they bought the land. I would be willing 1-2k for a lease to hunt.

TxxAgg

WKR
You might be able to make more money and have a lower cost of living. Then paying $2k for an annual lease would be an easy choice...you could hunt pigs and yotes all year on top of deer.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
That place sounds like it sucks big time. Not sure where in Virginia you are but from what you have read so far you may better of staying put.

I worked in Greenville straight out of college. I now live north of there in a very rural setting. My wife is a teacher at small town nearby. Fantastic school, with great people. For me, the past year has reinforced living in rural Texas.

As mentioned, great fishing and good waterfowl opportunities. Some deer hunting too but I don't have first hand experience hunting it. There's a archery draw hunt nearby that's pretty good. You'd would probably want a lease if you're a serious deer hunter. From Greenville you could look at Oklahoma and Kansas as well for deer.

If you get serious about the move, feel free to PM me.

TxxAgg

WKR
^^^ good point about OK and KS deer. Lots of guys from north TX go up there.

OP
joe22657

joe22657

FNG
I don’t waterfowl hunt and fish much but hunting it what I love. I’m really thinking about moving because I would have a job lined up and I would close to the Rockies. It would be nice to have some places to closer to home to hunt deer and hogs.

One thing to consider in Texas is that some of the charter schools can actually be pretty good, Founders Classical and Great Hearts for example, but I don’t know if they go east enough to make sense.

Like others have said, Greenville is kind of the gateway between rural east Texas (which is quite beautiful and friendly) and the DFW urban sprawl. Hunting seems to be almost entirely private though there might be decent public opportunities in the Sabine River bottom. The texasbowhunterforum would also be a good place to ask, it’s one of the largest/best Texas forums and I see east Texas leases pop up there from time to time