Grey Wolf Protection To End In 2020

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
According to the article, I found it interesting they are excluding the Mexican Grey Wolves. I know AZGFD has poured alot of money and resources in bringing back the population. What makes them any different than say another states reintroduction effort? And no, I'm not a wolf lover- just curious.

GoHunt: Article “exempting a small population of Mexican wolves in the Southwest,”
It's because they're a different subspecies than what are elsewhere in the U.S. and they haven't met the recovery objective yet. Problem is where they've reintroduced them now isn't even their traditional range. 95% or more of their home range was in Mexico and the rest was in southern AZ and NM but for some reason we have to recover them in our elk country...

Broomd

WKR
Couple of cuddly wolf commericals and I don't doubt that many <right here> would be advocating for more protection.

manitou1

WKR
Some liberal judge in a state that has no wolves, who has never seen a wolf, except in his kids story books will phuk it up again.

Deadfall

WKR
Well ill say this: wolves aren't going away, so what do we do about it?
The area im in use to be overrun with em, hardly ever see elk and the deer numbers really took a wacking. So, started hunting them aggressively. Did we kill all of them, no. What did happen, wolves stopped hanging around. Now they pass through once in awhile throughout the year but they don't stay around. Our elk are starting to grow and act like elk again. Deer numbers are growing. No way to get completely rid of them. Wolvs are here. period. and coming to your neighborhood soon.
We dont go after just one though. Wait for several to show. Then fill the tags.

Its time consuming for sure but we've found working together as the wolf does is exceptionally beneficial. Guys going out at different times and reporting back to group. That way everyone can still hold a job and meet home life responsibilities.

Impressive how smart those creatures are. They high tail it out of country. Not just a short distance either.

We can coexist however they must be put on notice!

They won't just move a drainagd or 2. They'll move 2 or 3 dozen miles away.

Deadfall

WKR
Jut make sure not to shoot a collared one. Believe it or not fwp is doing all they can, and those collars provide data for them to fight the good fight against the knuckleheads.

Wrench

WKR
They don't need to be protected, just managed like coyotes. Every yote in my county knows if a Toyota pickup comes down the road it takes at least 800 yards of mixed cover to be safe. We kill the shit out of them and they never run out.

tdhanses

WKR
My son has a neighbor in Kansas City. She saw me loading for a hunting trip two years ago. Asked me what I was doing. Stuck her head in my trailer. I told her I was going hunting. After giving me a few dirty looks she asked me if I hunted wolves. I said not this trip. Why? Because they are endangered. Not where I go, I said. She asked me why I would kill a wolf? I told her that they have decimated elk herds in Idaho and Montana.The can also destroy deer herds
She related that it wasn't true. Wolves don't eat Elk or deer......that is what we are up against. She has never seen a wolf. Doesn't have a clue about them or their impact. Evidently thinks they are vegans. But she gets to vote same as us. Pure ignorance.
She must of been a CA transplant, majority of non hunters in KC I know are ok with hunting, so people like her are still a very small fraction of non hunters overall.

Deadfall

WKR
because the leaf lickers in Colorado are putting it on the ballot to force them down our throats. When they were protected it wasn’t up to a public vote and It was decided that Colorado wasn’t a good place for introduction. Now that they’re no longer protected we’re going to get them in Colorado and of course they’ll be protected. Biology by ballots. Love it.

They coming no matter what. By forced introduction or natural moves. Atleast if they not protected something can be done about it. Although if Colorado is like here, most will just complain and not put the time in

Ucsdryder

WKR
We have boulder, CO. They’ll be out there trying to pet them and name them and feed them tofu and hemp.

BluMtn

WKR
They don't need to be protected, just managed like coyotes. Every yote in my county knows if a Toyota pickup comes down the road it takes at least 800 yards of mixed cover to be safe. We kill the shit out of them and they never run out.

Just slowing down going down the road will cause them to run and if you are driving through the fields they will not stop running until they are clear out of sight.

I was listening to a Podcast, I believe it was Born and raised Outdoors, I also believe that it was titled " the future of elk hunting" the guest was extremely knowledgeable and talked about how the wolves that were re-introduced that came from Canada are a different strain and much like different breeds of dogs they behave differently. In the area those wolves came from there is muskeg and those wolves are programmed to basically kill everything in sight and eat some burying the rest to come back after the snow falls, sniff it out and dig it up sustaining themselves when the caribou have migrated or game is scarce. So they are doing what they are "programmed" to do, killing everything and the coyotes clean up behind them. It makes sense and if you decide to take the time to try and explain the "why" to someone who doesn't understand that is the science behind why and how they are different and don't belong in the ecosystem they were set loose in.

Mosby

WKR
She must of been a CA transplant, majority of non hunters in KC I know are ok with hunting, so people like her are still a very small fraction of non hunters overall.

No. She grew up in KC, moved to the east coast after college and came back after her husband left her. She is for everything I am against and against everything I am for. I avoid her like the plague when I am visiting. The guy she lives with doesn't hunt but he is a decent dude. The good news is that I am at the point in life where I don't care what others like or don't like. I just do my thing.