Greys River WY - North or South?

I hunt mule deer regularly in this area but will hunt elk in October and I’m torn between the North or South area of Greys River.

I’ve heard go North and I’ve been told go South in the Greys river.

I’m using llamas and I like to establish a spike camp 5+ miles from the road/trailhead. I always go back in for 7-10 days, so not afraid to put on the miles up in the high bowls and “try” to get away from any possible hunting pressure.

Any insight, tips, or advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you hunt mule deer way up high? If so I’m curious how much elk activity you saw up there.

As far as north or south… it doesn’t matter. I’ve hunted extreme north and all the way south up over the pass and down the other side. About halfway will put you furthest from people although there are hunters everywhere of course. Lately I’ve hunted north but my friends in the south have done as good or better and I’m thinking about making the move myself.

OP
snowymtnwolf
Yes I hunt up high on the top and run the ridge lines scouting and dropping down as needed. Never really saw many elk and never big bulls (although never really looking for them because I was after deer).

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Can you get more than 5 miles from the road there? From the one time I hunted there it seemed that 2-3 miles was about the max. I guess we didn't get around the unit too much though. Not a ton of elk there but we only needed 2.

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt mule deer regularly in this area but will hunt elk in October and I’m torn between the North or South area of Greys River.

I’ve heard go North and I’ve been told go South in the Greys river.

I’m using llamas and I like to establish a spike camp 5+ miles from the road/trailhead. I always go back in for 7-10 days, so not afraid to put on the miles up in the high bowls and “try” to get away from any possible hunting pressure.

Any insight, tips, or advice would be appreciated.

I'm curious how you hunt there for MD regularly, are you a resident? 7+ point draw

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
snowymtnwolf
I’m stationed In Colorado now. Deer and elk here yes. Just started getting points here too. OTC elk hunt in Nov this year in colo too.

When I started hunting wyo it only required like 2 or 3 points. Now yes. Creeping up.

Special tag with points is $200 ish more and requires about 2 less points

OP
snowymtnwolf
As crow flies you can get about 7 miles from roads.

Main road is a terrible dirt road that takes up to 3 hours to travel. I think they only grade it once a year it seems. And that’s summer sometime

I'm curious how you hunt there for MD regularly, are you a resident? 7+ point draw

That an over the counter tag for residents. Pretty sure that’s the case.

If I lived there I’d probably quit my job every September!

OP
snowymtnwolf
Wyoming elk - I’m pretty sure OTC elk yes. But I believe a limited draw for Wyoming residents for deer. Not 100% sure tho

wyoming residents can go to the grocery store and buy a resident tag that allows us to hunt G or H, or X or any general unit in the state, theyre are special tags like unit 141 that are within region H we would have to draw,,, only difference is its a later hunt Mulies are migrating in October why season closes early October for general tags in G H,

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
That an over the counter tag for residents. Pretty sure that’s the case.

If I lived there I’d probably quit my job every September!
That's what I was getting at. I figured he was a res. But if he was he should also know where elk are like you and I.

ttjjpp

FNG
As crow flies you can get about 7 miles from roads.

Main road is a terrible dirt road that takes up to 3 hours to travel. I think they only grade it once a year it seems. And that’s summer sometime

that main road can be brutal - washboards, potholes and a 60 mph speed limit