Grinder input

Thinking about upgrading my grinder. Currently have an $80 LEM countertop model that does the trick for the 2-3 deer I process a year. I probably grind 10-20# of meat per deer.

I am looking at a 1HP model. Anyone have any experience with this Weston 1HP grinder and can help me understand why it is half the price of the Cabela’s 1 HP model below.

Those are really two different animals. LEM is also making an small aluminum grinder very similar to the Weston (in addition to the more pro style/traditional grinder). I wouldn't compare the hp ratings on these little 17lb units with a more traditional grinder (like the cabelas in our link). My old 3/4 horse cabalas and the equivalent type from LEM units weigh over 50lbs. I think the big heavy ones are running at a much slower rpm, so are much quieter and will likely last much longer. Just my 2 cents. BTW, you don't need a 1 horse of the big guys for 2/3 deer a year. Even my 3/4 horse will grind meat about as fast as you can throw it in! I'd look at a .5 or .75 of the big bite LEM grinder if I were you. Probably better quality and warranty than where Cabelas is at currently....

Trial153

WKR
The most important consideration in table top grinders is the neck to motor size ratio.
you start pushing meat through 22 neck without a minimum of a one horse motor you’re pushing the limits. 32 neck one horse isn’t enough. conversely if you have a big motor for a number 12 neck it’s a waste of power because you can’t push the volume.

For me, on both table tops and free standing units my first consideration is the average weight of my grind. This will let me chose the a grinder with an appropriate neck size.
Home use even doing multiple animals a year you will want to stay below a 32 neck.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
in years past i have burned up 2 half hp units. literally up in smoke.

now i have 3/4 hp units, they are big and heavy. i keep one in ohio and one in arkansas. both will eat strips as big as the hole and as long as i can cut them and as fast as 2 of us can feed them in. they never grunt. they look like lem re-branded by gander. typically we grind 40 lb at a time.

we got both on sale after Christmas and saved a bunch.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Those are really two different animals. LEM is also making an small aluminum grinder very similar to the Weston (in addition to the more pro style/traditional grinder). I wouldn't compare the hp ratings on these little 17lb units with a more traditional grinder (like the cabelas in our link). My old 3/4 horse cabalas and the equivalent type from LEM units weigh over 50lbs. I think the big heavy ones are running at a much slower rpm, so are much quieter and will likely last much longer. Just my 2 cents. BTW, you don't need a 1 horse of the big guys for 2/3 deer a year. Even my 3/4 horse will grind meat about as fast as you can throw it in! I'd look at a .5 or .75 of the big bite LEM grinder if I were you. Probably better quality and warranty than where Cabelas is at currently....

I agree with all this. I had a tabletop grinder like the one you're looking at and decided to upgrade for the three elk we did this year. Got a Cabelas 3/4 horse and almost got the one horse model. Turns out the 3/4 is more than enough. An added advantage, as said above, is that it doesn't scream at you. We can have a conversation while grinding with the bigger unit.

xcutter

WKR
I have the 3/4 Carnivore and it has been awesome. I can't feed the grinder quick enough. Do 2 to 4 Whitetail a year with it. Clean up is easy and the ice pack that goes on it helps with keeping everything cold.

Another thumbs up for the 3/4 hp carnivore from cabelas. The kick in the crotch was a month later after I bought it, it came with a free foot pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Borrowed my neighbor's Weston #12 1 hp to do an elk this year. That thing can put away some meat. It'll be my next grinder.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I too, am in need of a new meat grinder. I am in serious debate between the cabelas carnivore or the LEM big bite's. I think I am going to go with atleast a 1hp. Anyone have experience with both of these to help me determine which one is best? I should probably just dothe #22 neck while I am at it too? These things used to be always on sale, and now that I need one, I can't seem to find a sale on one. Any help would be appreciated

4ester

WKR
I would have recommended Cabelas in the past but I do not trust the direction of that company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy once, cry once.
I’ve been through several grinders. Currently using a big LEM, and regret not going this route from the very beginning. All the others were a waste of money and time. I have no experience with the Weston brand so I don’t know how it compares.

MHB

FNG
I have had the 3/4HP Number 12 for going on 8 years now and it has been great. I do wish I had gotten the 1HP number 22 on occasion when I am making large batches of ground or sausage (50LB or more). When I bought mine there was only a $50.00 difference in price. It does take slightly longer when processing an elk or multiple deer.

The draw back to the larger unit is that you have a little more wast at the end of the grind.

If I were to do it again I would get the number 22 1HP unit because it has a larger feed tube.

I have had great luck with the LEM brand products. I have returned several pieces of Cabelas processing equipment because the quality was not what I expected.

Matt