Grinder Recommendation for Elk

Gearing up for archery season and I've been impressed by the Excalibur dehydrator I got a few months ago, getting some dehydrated meals prepped as I type this up. I noticed on their site they have a 1 HP commercial grinder on discount (https://excaliburdehydrator.com/products/epmg22-22-meat-grinder-1hp) but can't find many reviews or anecdotes about their grinders. Anyone have experience with them and is this something to jump on? Plan to process my own elk this year and would see the benefit of spending a few bucks on a well built grinder and I've seen lots of great things said about Excalibur's dehydrators but next to nothing on their grinders. Any feedback is appreciated!

RS3579

WKR
I looked for a used Hobart for a while. I ended up with a new LEM #12. It’s well built and works great. I feel you’ll be happy with a LEM.

rayporter

WKR
i keep a 1 hp grinder in Ohio and one in Arkansas. they each do many deer every year, as fast as i want to go.

i have burned up [literally smoking] 2 half hp grinders.

ymmv.

OP
W
I keep seeing lots of great responses for LEM so I'll probably keep an eye out for one of those (either 3/4 hp or maybe the 1 hp) and see if a labor day sale pops up. Thanks for the feedback!

Sadler

WKR
I got an LEM big bite a few years back. That think has eaten everything from antelope to moose with ease. You can’t feed it fast enough to bog it down.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I keep seeing lots of great responses for LEM so I'll probably keep an eye out for one of those (either 3/4 hp or maybe the 1 hp) and see if a labor day sale pops up. Thanks for the feedback!
I just picked up a 3/4 HP, #12 on a 10% off & free shipping deal. If you aren’t on their email list sign up. They have sales pretty frequently.

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR
Meateater has a pretty significant discount for weston products.

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Group I hunt with has been using LEM for 6/7 years and the thing has been a beast. Wouldn't be shocked if it sees 1000lbs of meat every year and it never faltered (knock on wood).

87TT

WKR
I have hand ground many many deer. Then for about ten years I used a cheap Harbor Freight grinder. It was slow but not terrible. A couple of elk and a dozen or so deer. I process by myself so no biggie. My son in law got me a LEM #8 1/2 horse and I don't think I would ever need anything more. Made quick work out of last two elk.

Meateater has a pretty significant discount for weston products.
I had a bad experience with Weston products. I ordered a grinder and foot pedal with the Meateater discount. Fast forward 2 months, and I had only received the foot pedal. Customer service was not very helpful or responsive. Told them I wanted a refund and they let me keep the foot pedal. Works great on the carnivore I picked up after getting my refund.

We have a 1 HP from Cabelas (previous generation). We've been using it for almost 10 years, last year we ground up 16 big game animals with it, including a bull elk. Never less than 4-5 Deer a year, last year was the most with 16. Never had an issue.

It's my dad and brothers grinder, and now that I moved a state over I am looking at getting my own grinder. I like the 1 hp as a base for size, and I will most certainly be getting one that is intended to hook up to a meat mixer for a motorized mixer.

I have run a $150 Cabelas brand the last few years. No issues. Has ate 3 elk now. Heard I had to have the foot pedal but never needed it.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a cheap 1/2 hp Weston model that is mostly plastic for the last 5 or so years. It got the job done, but the throat was so small I had to spend a lot of time cutting the meat in chunks to fit. It was also extremely slow, especially on the second grind.

I decided to upgrade this year and after spending quite a bit of time comparing and researching I ended up going with the 1 Hp LEM #22. After seeing how big it is I think I would have probably been fine with the #12, but I really wanted the larger meat pan and throat diameter of the #22. I can't wait to put it to use and see how much time it saves me over my old grinder.

OP
W
So took a look at LEM, signed up for their mailing list and sure enough they had a sale go live today so jumped at the opportunity for a 3/4 HP #12 Big Bite. Thank you all for the discussion and feedback, looking forward to putting a bull through to break it in.