Grinder Recommendation for Elk

TSAMP

WKR
Order some meat lugs, and get a lid or two. Lids really just help so u can stack them in the fridge. I snagged a stainless table and mixer this year to add to my collection.

Attachments

• 16301126634838447643711873531635.jpg
    16301126634838447643711873531635.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
W
Order some meat lugs, and get a lid or two. Lids really just help so u can stack them in the fridge. I snagged a stainless table and mixer this year to add to my collection.
Solid advice and for sure on the list to add. Big fan of the setup you've got there.

I couldn't pass up the Excalibur deal, #22 1HP, with free shipping for $249, especially for the few critters a year I'd do seems like a no brainer.

OP
W
I couldn't pass up the Excalibur deal, #22 1HP, with free shipping for $249, especially for the few critters a year I'd do seems like a no brainer.
Very tempting for the savings so can't blame ya. Please post a follow up after you put it through a few paces/put a critter or two through it.

With my luck it may be years before I need it, but if the good Lord is willing to bless me with filled tags I will.

I also ordered the Harbor Freight foot pedal and some food grade silicoln. Should be about set.

Used to be a local grind was pretty economical. Not so much any more. Even if I get just 4 deer done with it, it'll be close to breaking even.

And Excalibur has had a very good name in the dehydrator businesses for a long time. That was also considered to establish a lesser risk in this gamble.

Meat Grinders can be an interesting subject. I've used a Waring Pro #12 -.5 hp grinder for the last decade. I process 5 whitetail per season sometimes more if a friend gives me his kill. I've never had an issue with it. I've never had an issue other than the noise. I'm upgrading to 1.5hp model grinder because I'm making specialty items now like hot dogs, summer sausage, pepperoni, etc

If you're only doing a standard single grind for burger meat, I would say buy a high quality 1/2-3/4 hp grinder. The Cabelas or Meat Your Maker both have a .5hp model that will do you well. I would make it a #12 size . #8 is just waaaaaay too small of a grinder throat and will take a long time because you'll have to cube the meat into much smaller chunks