Grinder recommendations?

Looking to start grinding meat this year and need some recommendations. Plan on processing 5-6 whitetail a year.

I’m really impressed by the LEM I bought last year. I think it’s the #12?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’m not typically a Cabelas gear fan, however the Cabelas 1hp carnivore grinder my bud and I use has been flawless. We grind all of our wild game as well as pork and have the large meat mixer attachment for it. It eats as fast as we can feed it and it’s easy to clean.

Highly recommend the LEM big bite grinders. I was planning on buying the largest but after reading the reviews. I went with the 3/4 hp model. Couldn’t be more pleased. The offset feed tube makes the grinder actually pull the meat through. Did 50 lbs of brauts with it and never had to use the plunger. You will be hard pressed to keep up with it.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I'm happy with my Cabela's Carnivore. Hardly makes a change in sound when pushing meat through...strong motor, well built, easy to take apart and clean. Price can't be beat when on sale.

Wrench

WKR
I've had a few "1 hp" grinders. Here's my take, the cabelas /lem/weston/Hobart units in 22 neck or bigger weighing over 40 lbs are worth the price. They all use the same parts.

If you pick up a grinder that weighs 20 lbs....don't expect a long life.....and never throw a bear forearm in it. I smoked a lot of grinders with the forearm.

I personally own the 1 hp and have done over 50 elk and easily twice that many deer and bear with it. I have sharpened my blades and plates a couple times....but never replaced a part. You can't feed a 22 or 32 fast enough. They are FAST.

I picked up a LEM #22 1HP last fall during the Black Friday Sale. $485 shipped with the foot pedal. I recall the savings over regular pricing was significant ( I waited for a few months until the price dropped).

Its a beast. A bit of a buzz-kill actually, cause it ground through 30 pounds of sausage in about 5 minutes, if that, and I haven't used it since. It's big, and takes up a lot of counter space, but its a good conversation piece, so I just let it sit there. ;-)

I guess I'll will it to one of my kids some day.

I picked up a LEM #22 1HP last fall during the Black Friday Sale. $485 shipped with the foot pedal. I recall the savings over regular pricing was significant ( I waited for a few months until the price dropped).

Its a beast. A bit of a buzz-kill actually, cause it ground through 30 pounds of sausage in about 5 minutes, if that, and I haven't used it since. It's big, and takes up a lot of counter space, but its a good conversation piece, so I just let it sit there. ;-)

I guess I'll will it to one of my kids some day.
I know what you mean. But I spent the next two weeks buying bulk meats just to grind. Made and gave away a lot of brauts.😁

I know what you mean. But I spent the next two weeks buying bulk meats just to grind. Made and gave away a lot of brauts.😁

I'm slowly working through 27 pounds of summer sausage. The apple sausage I've been grilling seems to get better every time I have it.

Broke down and bought a cheap vacuum sealer for the coming year.

Maybe its time I revive the thread I started on people's processing setups.....

I'm slowly working through 27 pounds of summer sausage. The apple sausage I've been grilling seems to get better every time I have it.

Broke down and bought a cheap vacuum sealer for the coming year.

Maybe its time I revive the thread I started on people's processing setups.....
Look into the vacmaster VP215. I watched it for about a year and a half then they e-mailed me a code for 40 percent off. Been running it now for three years and love it. It’s an investment but the bags are pennies and a lot stronger.
Here is a test I tell people that think the non- chamber vacs are good. Take a wet sponge squeeze out most of the water then vac seal it. After it is sealed squeeze it again and see how much air comes out. Air = freezer burn.

Rich M

WKR
I have a LEM 22 w Big Bite - done a couple deer and a steer with it so far. You will have to work to slow it down, not easy to do.

Used to use the $75-$100 cheap models from Harbor Freight/Northern Tool/Etc. They work good, just aluminum parts and need to prep the meat a bit more and they are louder. My wife gave my old one to Good Will or something like that - it had done at least 20 deer and was going strong.

Basically got the LEM for processing the cow and my noisy little grinder went missing! Had to use the LEM and like it. Quiet, easy to prep the meat - I cut it in a strip as long as possible, about 3 or 4 inches wide and thick - feed into grinder, burger comes out... No more cubing meat. It goes a bit faster, probably takes 1/2 the time as one of the little grinders.

Anyway - shop around a bit. We were able to find the grinder on sale with a $100 gift card on top of that.

KitchenAid makes a grinder attachment for their stand mixers. $34 on Amazon. I've used one to process three deer and one elk over the past few years. It's relatively slow with a fairly narrow neck, but the mixer provides plenty of power. Mine (actually my wife's) is advertised at 575 watts, which would be 0.77 hp. If you're processing multiple animals per year, you'd probably be better off buying a dedicated grinder, but the KitchenAid attachment is a cheap alternative for the occasional butcher if you already have the mixer.

HookUp

WKR
I have a cabalas DC pro grinder. It made quick work of three deer. I would like to get a carnivore and will be buying the 1/2 smallest one. I dont need 30 lbs ground in 5 min. My DC could easily grind an elk. My $250 processing bill for a grinding of a bull elk pushed me to never pay those fees again.

manitou1

WKR
I will second the Cabelas grinders. 1 hp will grind so fast it takes longer to clean up than to grind a couple of deer. Get the foot switch. Keeps you from dirtying up with your hands and keeps the unit cooler. A lot more control for 50 bucks. Bother and I both swear by the Cabelas #22 grinders.