Grinding Turkey

Holocene

WKR
I've been grinding turkey for a few years and shoot quite a few each year. Never add anything to the grind and I don't know why you need to.

For making ground turkey, I exclusively bone out the thighs and grind these chunks of meat for spaghetti, meatballs, ground taco meat, etc.

The drumsticks are too sinewy to grind, so they go into the stock pot for bone broth -- but I'll grab a little of the meat to put back into a turkey soup or mole.

I never grind the breast, because that would be a waste of hard won and delicious breast. Those, we pan roast or smoke for eating fresh or on a sandwich.

That said, you could definitely grind the breast if you want. I would keep it separate from the thigh meat batch as the taste, texture, and cooking time will vary between thigh and breast -- even when ground.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I've been grinding turkey for a few years and shoot quite a few each year. Never add anything to the grind and I don't know why you need to.

For making ground turkey, I exclusively bone out the thighs and grind these chunks of meat for spaghetti, meatballs, ground taco meat, etc.

The drumsticks are too sinewy to grind, so they go into the stock pot for bone broth -- but I'll grab a little of the meat to put back into a turkey soup or mole.

I never grind the breast, because that would be a waste of hard won and delicious breast. Those, we pan roast or smoke for eating fresh or on a sandwich.

That said, you could definitely grind the breast if you want. I would keep it separate from the thigh meat batch as the taste, texture, and cooking time will vary between thigh and breast -- even when ground.
Appreciate the insight. That is what I was looking for.