grips

2ski

WKR
What is the preference of everyone on their treking poles? Cork, rubber, ect? Just wondering as I look at options.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never tried cork and like the foam grips on my BD Zpoles....I used these poles on many long walks out this archery season and for packing my bull. For 9.5oz they are extremely durable and they condense into such a small package they easily fit in most packs.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only set of cork grips I tried (albeit a cheap set) broke down over time and with wear and tear, so that eventually the surface was uneven and tended to give me sore spots on my hands. All our trekking poles since have had rubber or rubber foam grips, and while they sometimes turn my palms black after hiking with them all day, they haven't broken down at all and look pretty much the same as the day we bought them.

mtnkid85

WKR
The hard foam on my old BD poles has held up well. Lately Ive noticed after a full day of using them the palm/web of my hand is starting to turn black, from something rubbing off on them. I dont think its an issue, but just noticed it last time out.
More importantly though I really like the slight angle BD uses on there grips, that slight tilt forward seems alot more comy than my girls Leki poles with the grips in line the the shaft of the pole.

OP

2ski

WKR
I was back in REI tonight and looked again at poles. Noticed that the BD Trail made out of aluminum has the angle on their grips, while the BD Alpine made out of carbon does not. Another thing I noticed, not about grips, is that the aluminum was not as quiet when I would plant the poles. It wasn't a rattle, but there was a definite noise. $10 more at REI were both poles than at a local place, but there is the dividend to think about two.

mtnkid85

WKR
I was back in REI tonight and looked again at poles. Noticed that the BD Trail made out of aluminum has the angle on their grips, while the BD Alpine made out of carbon does not. Another thing I noticed, not about grips, is that the aluminum was not as quiet when I would plant the poles. It wasn't a rattle, but there was a definite noise. $10 more at REI were both poles than at a local place, but there is the dividend to think about two.

I have an older pair made from Al (I believe contour?) and they certainly are loud on anything but soft grass/snow/mud. Which I like for solo hiking in bear country, but is an obvious down side from a hunting/stocking standpoint.
I however really do not use my poles during my actual "hunting", really only when Im shuttling camp/gear/meat to and fro. Once Im in and have lighted my pack, I generally carry my rifle and leave the poles. Now of course I am still "hunting" on my approaches too but I do make a bit of a distinction there.

swat8888

WKR
I like the hard foam grips, they don't get slippery as they absorb some sweat, but they also don't get soaked with water to the point that I feel like I've been carrying a sponge in my hands all day. More importantly I think the comfort of the wrist strap would trump the material of the grips. When you really have to dig in and use the poles alot the first and only place I start to get blisters is where the strap runs across the webbing of my thumb/finger. I run Komperdell's, no idea what model but I've been happy with them.

OP

2ski

WKR
Went ahead and picked up the BD Alpine Carbon Cork at REI. Couldn't argue with using the 20% off coupon to get $30 off.