Grits - the other breakfast cereal

I don’t always do hot breakfast but I tend to prefer savory over sweet when I do.

my go to recipe:

- three packs of Quaker instant plain grits
- olive oil pack or butter pads or flakes
- 2 oz diced cooked bacon or diced bacon jerky
- two big spoonfuls of parmigiana or romano cheese sliced or grated
- ground black pepper

probably 500 calories There. you can mix it up ahead of time and the butter and bacon will be fine for days. Add to a pot. Add hot water and stir and it is ready in a few minutes.

Wapiti16

FNG
As a southerner, I can fully endorse a good bowl of grits. Grits is basically one of our major food groups. I've never taken them backpacking, but now I definitely plan to.

How are yall cooking them? Instant grits are delicious but they typically leave alot of hard to clean residue on dishes. Are ya'll hydrating them in a spare ziplock bag or something? I don't want to get my pot dirty.

I'm thinking a few packets of instant grits with some dried parmesan cheese packets and bacon bits might be the greatest backcountry breakfast ever.

SonnyDay

WKR
Call me crazy, but I have some used Mountain House foil pouches that I washed after using that I bring for rehydrating stuff that isn't already in a pouch (like instant grits). Works great... and keeps the crud out of your pot.

SURVEYOR

FNG
I grew up in south GA. We ate grits weekly if not daily growing up. It is a meal that will really stick with you. Now my kids love a good bowl of cheese grits and I can feed a family of 5 for literally $2.50 total. If we’d had more grits and steel factories the war of northern aggression would have ended very differently.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I'm thinking a few packets of instant grits with some dried parmesan cheese packets and bacon bits might be the greatest backcountry breakfast ever.

I didn't think any self respecting southerner ate INSTANT grits??? At least that's what they said in "My Cousin Vinny" ;)

Since I'm not a southerner though, I'll be adding this to my backpacking breakfast ideas! Sounds like a welcome change from the usual oatmeal. Not sure why I didn't think of it before? Thanks for posting.

Wapiti16

FNG
I didn't think any self respecting southerner ate INSTANT grits??? At least that's what they said in "My Cousin Vinny" ;)

Since I'm not a southerner though, I'll be adding this to my backpacking breakfast ideas! Sounds like a welcome change from the usual oatmeal. Not sure why I didn't think of it before? Thanks for posting.
Since real stone-ground grits need to cook for 35-45 min (which I will happily do occasionally for certain meals, Grits & Grillades, Shrimp & Grits, etc), I don't have any hate for instant grits for a quick 30 second breakfast haha. Just don't tell my granny I said that!

Fordguy

WKR
On the other hand, for breakfast, some butter and a few of those restaurant strawberry jam packets mixed stirred into a hot bowl of grits is pretty darn good.