GRITTY - FILM PERMITS - YOUR THOUGHTS?

I will also add, film permits are a contributing reason most "hunting tv shows" are on private land (coupled with the fact that there could be more consistent odds of success and a more controllable hunt on private). Imagine how expensive it would be to buy film permits for every day a hunting tv show films in public land. Top grossing tv shows like Meateater can afford it I'm sure, but for the average show this would get expensive fast. And let's remember, anyone who gets in front of a camera to entertain is acting. They will likely be different in real life, and untold experiences that don't conform with a good "story" will be left out of their messaging. Let's enjoy it for the story that it is and appreciate their effort to entertain us, but let's also remember their personal motivations and experiences differ than what is communicated to their audiences. The person making the content is different than the brand making the content, even if their name is the same as their brand name.

Have you ever posted a video on YouTube and gotten paid? It's pennies, if anything at all. Not listening to the podcast because you don't like the guy... its petty.

What about not listening to the podcast because the guy is clearly all hat, no cattle and just regurgitates what every other podcast constantly repeats? Not listening to a podcast because the host annoys you seems like the most valid reason one could have other than not being interested in the subject at all.

What a ridiculous comment.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Has anyone every tried to get a film permit? The government charges over $100 dollars A DAY for one man to film with a camera PLUS a processing fee for submitting the paperwork. That adds up really quick. GRITTY content won't be free online for much longer because of the government and their outdated rules. As for making a profit, I'm sure he pays out of pocket for a lot. Sponsors don't pay near what you think they do.

So where does this out of pocket money come from? Is he independently wealthy? Last I knew the guy had no job besides riding the coat tails of better hunters to be able to make a living hunting/podcasting/filming.

Can't afford to pay the fee? Then don't film your commercials, sorry I mean hunting shows, on Public Land I guess.

These attempts to create accounts and save face for a buddy never work out, I've seen it on many forums over the years. Nice try though.

For all the “YouTube video’s don’t pay” folks. Can one of you explain for me “Whistling Diesel”?
That guy sure seems to have turned it into a goldmine.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
For all the “YouTube video’s don’t pay” folks. Can one of you explain for me “Whistling Diesel”?
That guy sure seems to have turned it into a goldmine.
Very good point. I somehow stumbled into this guy and he is always up to something or tearing up some high dollar vehicle. He give zero F's.

Does anyone really believe Call's defense statement in his podcast? Given his track record, I sure don't.

This whole fiasco is a black eye on the hunting world. If you don't agree with the regulations, fine. But comply with the rules while you advocate for change.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone really believe Call's defense statement in his podcast? Given his track record, I sure don't.

This whole fiasco is a black eye on the hunting world. If you don't agree with the regulations, fine. But comply with the rules while you advocate for change.
I air on the side of believing him when he says he was told he was in the clear, and then was later told "nope, no joy". Not sure how this is a black eye to the hunting world at all....maybe an ingrown pinky nail but not even close to a black eye. I hope him bringing the issue to light and being open about it brings about change to the regulation. I'm willing to bet that not everyone who produces content for hunting is 100 percent in the clear with the law.....i was hoping the Rokslide crew would chime in and discuss the permitting process with the videos they've produced BUUUUT i don't blame them for not wanting to touch it with a 10 foot pole due to possibly incriminating themselves....not saying they've not followed the rules, but im guessing that the rules can be easily misunderstood or easily broken without even knowing.

j_volt

WKR

Rules are tough for him... Like not wearing orange on much of his recent Montana deer hunt on YouTube.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I air on the side of believing him when he says he was told he was in the clear, and then was later told "nope, no joy". Not sure how this is a black eye to the hunting world at all....maybe an ingrown pinky nail but not even close to a black eye. I hope him bringing the issue to light and being open about it brings about change to the regulation. I'm willing to bet that not everyone who produces content for hunting is 100 percent in the clear with the law.....i was hoping the Rokslide crew would chime in and discuss the permitting process with the videos they've produced BUUUUT i don't blame them for not wanting to touch it with a 10 foot pole due to possibly incriminating themselves....not saying they've not followed the rules, but im guessing that the rules can be easily misunderstood or easily broken without even knowing.
You can film all you want for personal use. If you intend to monetize it, that's when you need permits. Gritty is sponsored, and plugs products right and left. His is a commercial operation. Huge difference between what he does and the Rokslide videos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk