Gritty podcast game bags

snowplow

WKR
Anybody know what game bags Ryan Lampers was talking about on the gritty bear podcast? He says the name but l cant figure out what it is.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

thompsont

Lil-Rokslider

I used them with Lampers on his Wyoming bull and on mine. They worked great for deboned meat. Super skinny bags so you have to debone, though. They work great for solo hunters or for hanging meat high in trees in grizz country because they are kinda smaller. I put two full bags side by side inside the bag of my backpack and had like roughly 80 lbs of meat on my back with my elk.

These are great for the reasons I mentioned above, but I will keep running Argali bags for their reflective wording in g-bear country and I do like being able to run non-boned out meat if I'm not 12 miles in the backcountry with Sthealthy Hunter.

I also really like Brad over at Argali and don't know the Grakksaw guy, so I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that as being a factor.

tdot

WKR
Does anyone know the size of these bags?

They seem to be a bit more expensive then other options on the market. I'm curious if they are worth it.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Super light, well-made bags. Seems like a tiny, one man operation if I had to guess. The seams are very well sewn, but almost every bag was a slightly different size. The fabric is not bulletproof, but way tougher than it looks. I was careful with where I hung and set mine down, but I packed out 2 elk and 2 bucks with them. No holes, snags, or tears.
Not sure I love the size, as one holds 40 pounds of meat. So one bag, give or take some gear, seems light and unproductive, with an average bull filling six bags. But double up with two, and give or take some gear, may be more than some guys want to carry.
Bottom line they’re stupid light and compact, tough enough, and breath and protect the meat incredibly well. Just depends on if you want to spend that much to drop a few ounces from your kill kit. Top notch product.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
The Grakksaw bags are not knockoffs of TAG. They’re drawstring bags that hold meat. TAG didn’t create that idea. I run the TAG BOMB bags, as well. I have nothing but good things to say about them, even though I had some from the “bad” batch of fabric that fell apart if you looked at it sideways. The company replaced all of those free of charge. They even sent me a new bag for free after one blew out of my truck. I called to inquire about purchasing a single bag, but they just mailed me one. Now that’s service!
The Grakksaw bags are definitely a niche product, but the weight and packability are amazing, and the orange color is actually nice as well. It’s crazy to think about how many more options for products we have now than just 10 years ago.

tdot

WKR
Cool, thanks for the info.

I know they list as a pretty light weight, I believe 7 ounces for 6 bags. But in the game of cutting ounces, my thought process leads me to wondering if the Argali bags (3 large bags at 5.4 ounces) hold twice as much meat, then if I only pack in 3 bags, I can accommodate the same amount of meat for a weight savings and a cost savings... and possibly a space savings in the pack.

Oh the joys of post hunting season downtime.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure where you’re seeing 3 bags at 5 ounces. I see that the Argalis have 5 bags for 9 ounces. Still super light. You need to consider bag shape and size, as well as whether you’ll most likely be packing quarters or boned-out meat. Also, if you happen to take an average or mature bull, all the meat in just three loads may be a bit more than some people will want to carry. If you figure 240 pounds of meat (not small, not a monster) divided by just three, then throw in pack, gear, food, water, horns and/or cape...could be ugly depending on distance, terrain, weather, etc. Just things to think about...

tdot

WKR
The Argali 17"x20" game bags are 1.8 ounces a piece.

This year I'll be pursuing animals that are all smaller then Elk. I hear what your saying about considering bag size for quarters, etc. I dont pack out bones if I'm counting ounces. If I'm only a few miles in, I have TAG bags and will mix and match them as necessary.

What do you mean by this? Are bears put off by reflective material?
Oh they're just easier to see/find with a headlight. So we hung them on the edge of a meadow and for our second trip at like 2 AM we were able to see the bags from a long ways out. That helped verify there was nothing that had claimed them or gotten to them from a real comfortable distance.

Super light, well-made bags. Seems like a tiny, one man operation if I had to guess. The seams are very well sewn, but almost every bag was a slightly different size. The fabric is not bulletproof, but way tougher than it looks. I was careful with where I hung and set mine down, but I packed out 2 elk and 2 bucks with them. No holes, snags, or tears.
Not sure I love the size, as one holds 40 pounds of meat. So one bag, give or take some gear, seems light and unproductive, with an average bull filling six bags. But double up with two, and give or take some gear, may be more than some guys want to carry.
Bottom line they’re stupid light and compact, tough enough, and breath and protect the meat incredibly well. Just depends on if you want to spend that much to drop a few ounces from your kill kit. Top notch product.
This is an excellent description of those Grakksaw bags and exactly what I experienced with them this year. Great review. 👍