Gritty Podcast Kifaru vs Stone Glacier

Thats where other voices can come in and thats where it can get difficult to say stay in your lane. Where is that lane? How do you determine that someone actually knows what they are talking about over just regurgitating information. If Broz posts in one thread and someone asks the same information in another, is that a bad thing or should I just stay in my lane and let broz answer
no, it's totally fine, and it happens a lot, and good info is shared that way. if you are replying with something you learned from a very credible resource, and not from experience, it's not a bad idea to disclaim that, but even if not, if it's correct info, you did your part.

you are right about the other voices muddying the waters, that's where things get crossed up, and people will have a hard time to differentiate the information, that is where it's valuable to share info you know through experience, or disclaim it's info from a trusted person in that discussion, so if your reply is misinterpreted or in the wrong context, you aren't adding to the muddying.

we all know that's just the nature of social media though, bad info will be shared, and much is shared with good intent but out of context.... some is shared by people who want to be know it alls…. it's just part of the deal on these platforms..... I know sometimes my opinion is best left out, I don't have to chime in every subject.

some of it's just discussion though, sharing your opinion won't necessarily lead anyone astray (like the kung flu thread.... it's pretty much understood not many people on a hunting site will really be in the know, haha.... that's just discussion that stays dynamic as new information comes)

I also wasn't referring to all of the recycled information being bad, but a lot of it is, and when it is, people who are regurgitating that info truly believe they are right, and will argue with people with a lot of actual experience.... that can be annoying, knowing they could lead someone astray that way.

I take it all at face value, I know there is good and bad info shared all of the time…. best we can do is try to sort through it all, then learn on our own, then we know.... whatever that may be.

I agree with your reply, I obviously painted my reply with a broad brush.... just a generalization

Come on now. You know it's not just Kifaru fans. I think a large number of people into "Backcountry Hunting" are posers across the board.

I think this is something that plagues (benefits?) a lot of the premium brands, people view it as a status symbol if they can buy top shelf stuff even if they don't need it or use it, and then talk about it on Facebook. All social media driven.

Wait a tick.....I almost got my post deleted for saying that ^^^^ Right On!

TheCougar

WKR
We hiked for 10.5 days straight, for 8 days. Hell of a hunt. Definitely one the top 5 hardest I’ve done, but anyone can do it with the gritty mindset and a SG pack.
4ff651907a0e886bae7bc42d05c7b228.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hate to burst everyone’s bubble, but 60 vertical miles is not 39,600 feet. It’s 316,800 feet. So basically 9x more than you were thinking. But hey, what’s 277,200 vertical feet between friends. I don’t care a lick about either dude or about their podcasts, but you gotta get the math right. That’s what’s bothers me! Now that we’ve got that sorted out, I’m going back to digging out my foxhole and building zombie booby traps in my wife’s flower garden.

Venom One

WKR
I didn't watch this particular episode, but I've watched a few Gritty podcasts and I've always come away from the experience with the same impression:
1. Gritty isn't a good interviewer
2. He isn't interesting or excited about the topic
3. He always seems distracted/disconnected; like he's got better/more important things to do
4. He doesn't seem to appreciate his guests or their time

Maybe I'm way off base about the guy and his delivery method just didn't work for me.

I just want to know what pack ryan lampers wears becuase how he packs out all those animals every season with brian hanging off of his coattails is truly impressive.

honestly wish aron just aired him him out on ryan's podcast and then was done with it. sooner 'gritty' goes away the better for all, incredible that he still has even an ounce of credibility in this industry.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
all right, I unlocked it.

I'd had my head down this week working on that sleeping bag review and just today noticed this thread. I had only read the 1st 4 pages of this show when I decided to just lock it figuring it only got worse by page 14.

Seems since "bro-cast", this has turned

but I did delete a lot of name calling, poaching accusing (show me proof) posts and is why I locked it.

I sent PMs to some of you.

It's open now, but keep it civil. I don't want to regret reopening it.

fatlander

WKR
I hate to burst everyone’s bubble, but 60 vertical miles is not 39,600 feet. It’s 316,800 feet. So basically 9x more than you were thinking. But hey, what’s 277,200 vertical feet between friends. I don’t care a lick about either dude or about their podcasts, but you gotta get the math right. That’s what’s bothers me! Now that we’ve got that sorted out, I’m going back to digging out my foxhole and building zombie booby traps in my wife’s flower garden.

39,600 x 8 = 60 vertical miles . . .

Even if he was covering he was covering 14 miles a day, he would had to be hiking for 32 hours per day.

So he hiked for 10.5 days straight on an 8 day hunt. . . The point I made was that he couldn’t have possibly covered the vertical miles he claimed in 8 days and hunted.

If you’re going to call someone on getting their math right, maybe check yours first. Your tin foil hat is wrapped a little too tight. . . Enjoy digging.

Last edited:
This thread is great. All this for a guy with 45k subscribers on YouTube. Im not into watching YouTube but from what I can tell his most popular video has 166k views and they go downhill fast from there. He, along with most of his kind, is nobody in the grand picture.

Over 10M hunters out there and a few thousand watch this guy in any given week and people should care what he says? I just dont get it.

fatlander

WKR
Huh? 1 mile = 5,280 ft. 60 miles = 316,800 ft. Not sure if you're trying to say something else, but I'm not getting it if you are.

316,800 total feet / 8 days = 39,800 feet per day

Not crazy hard stuff there. . .

So he was covering 39,800 vertical feet per day.

If he was traversing horizontal 14 miles a day, which is still a big if,

It would take 32.5 hours to accomplish one days worth of mileage.

That means he would have had to hike 10.5 days STRAIGHT, on an 8 day hunt. . .

So in conclusion, what he claimed isn’t possible.

Brendan

WKR
316,800 total feet / 8 days = 39,800 feet per day

Not crazy hard stuff there. . .

So he was covering 39,800 vertical feet per day.

If he was traversing horizontal 14 miles a day, which is still a big if,

It would take 32.5 hours to accomplish one days worth of mileage.

That means he would have had to hike 10.5 days STRAIGHT, on an 8 day hunt. . .

So in conclusion, what he claimed isn’t possible.

Ok - I don't disagree it's complete and utter BS. I just didn't read 99% of the posts in the thread so had no idea where it was coming from and had no idea what the hell you were talking about :D (Finally saw the post that generated all the damn 60 vertical mile crap)

Brian Call is a tool. I stand by that.

Here is the email that got posted yesterday. Gritty having the MTN ops guys ask Aron for money. I also figure this is how he is circumventing being "sponsored" by some of these companies. He is filtering it through MTN ops that way when he trashes company x over y and gets called out he can say no I'm not sponsored by x. He is basically using MTN ops as a front to hide his bias.View attachment 165601
Just saw this. So one of the Mtn Ops brothers is the COO of the Gritty Bowmen brand? Confusing. Brian likely needed "investors" to stay afloat so Mtn Ops backed him but it looks like they wanted operational control as well, probably so he wouldn't run it into the ground on his own. This has become quite the CF. Lol. And it makes me not want to buy Mtn Ops ever again.

staehlej

FNG
That may be, but from what I understand there is "pro staffing" where they are getting paid. They may have an agreement, for the BRO guys I guess, that they get some royalties off the packs branded BRO. They also do limited runs of those packs, not alwats in stock. Take it for what it's worth, I'm just a moron.

EXO recorded a podcast addressing their position on "pro staff". Ep 54 of the Hunt Backcountry podcast.

Marble

WKR
If you watch any of his videos he's not even wearing the packs correctly. He never loosens the load lifter straps so there are massive gaps in the shoulder straps and he never seats the pack on his iliac crest. just his comment alone of "I've been fitted by Aron" goes to show you his extent of understanding of how to use a pack. you can get fitted but you still have to loosen and adjust a few of the straps each time you put it on to achieve a perfect fit.
If I had a bull for everytime I saw someone wearing their pack like that I'd have my own podcast!

ericwh

WKR
"WTF are you watching?!?!"

"Well honey, these guys used to make podcasts together, and now they apparently don't get along, and this guy dissed this guys backpack, so now they're making a video of them making up and posting it on the internet..."

And then I had to google what an iliac crest is. What a strange day...