Grizz Sidearm

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Think I have decided on 44 mag.....looking at the S&W 329PD because it is light.....but thinking if I am going to use any of the more powerful ammo (Underwood, etc) it may be better to use the Ruger Alaskan, though that one weighs 44oz

Any opinions?

Apollo117

WKR
My old man has the 329. It's nice to carry and manageable to shoot with standard factory loads. I wouldn't want to shoot it for an extended range session. I've never carried it in grizzly country, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so either.

I've never hunted in grizzly country but I have researched what I would want to carry if I ever go. I think I would go with the Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull. It's a little hefty but I think I like the idea of a bigger caliber if I were to need it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    345.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    217.1 KB · Views: 31

rino

FNG
I have a ruger Alaskan in 454 in a Diamond D Leather chest holster. Fits nicely in the top of the waders when fishing as well. It's a handful to shoot but you never shoot it.

Brother has the 329 and it's a bitch to shoot (worse felt recoil than my 454 due to the low weight). Read up on crimp creep...it's not a gun to shoot much with. For bowhunting carry I think its a great gun as you will likely only get off a shot (or two) if you are lucky in a bear charge. The light weight of it is very attractive...

I think a glock 10mm is an ok option too.

Going back to your original question, the 44 is about 2/3 of the power of the 454 but both are fine IMO. I wouldn't buy the Ruger Alaskan in 44....too heavy for lots of trail miles.

I’m big on being an ounce counter and try to keep all my gear as light as reasonably possible, but for brown bear defense, I prefer to carry as hard of a hitter as I can comfortably (relative term), handle, regardless of wt. When fishing and rafting/camping I typically carry a short S/S pump 12 ga. loaded with 7-3” mag slugs. For general hiking/hunting purposes I carry a S&W .500 mag loaded with 5-440gr hard cast Buffalo bore in a Diamond D, Guides Choice chest holster. I’ve never had to use the shotgun for self-defense, but I have used the S&W, and I have complete confidence in it. Just to get a visual, here’s the difference between a 328gr. 44 mag hard cast and a 440gr. 500 mag hard cast.
4ca1f4d7aa345d5d8c3860d5e4f002ed.jpg

50af648b83bfa4a233102638cf0720e0.jpg

2.75” .500
4b9d5fc27f08a22e925b7aa0f5b05ef0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mans gun right there Trout!

I take a 45/70 into the bear stand, every time. I carry a whimpy Glock 20 10mm with Buffalo Bore ammo for everything else.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Welp....im a fraud. I went into a store today and handled a glock and a XD-M and liked how the XD-M felt in my hand. So for now its 10mm. I will also have a 300 win mag over my shoulder as well if that matters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
Welp....im a fraud. I went into a store today and handled a glock and a XD-M and liked how the XD-M felt in my hand. So for now its 10mm. I will also have a 300 win mag over my shoulder as well if that matters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with being a 10mm fraud if you are more effective that way. My buddy brought a .454 Casull revolver to Alaska for our recent hunt up there. We had an extra day on the back end and ran a range. One of the events was to put four rounds into a torso silhouette target from seven yards at a quick cadence to simulate a bear encounter. Wanted to see how we would have done. He pulled 3 of his 4 so far low and left with anticipation that they missed the target completely.

Comparing the impressive size of rounds on the counter of a gun shop is one thing. Effectively using a firearm to defend your life in a situation where your heart rate is 140 BPM is another.

Ph&s3

FNG
I recently posted a comment about this and a old saying came to mind I can't remember if it was Cooper or Wilson but one of them was once asked what is the very best gun to have in a gunfight. His answer kind of tickled me because he said the one you have with you. Personally I probably prefer a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs in grizzly country but that being said probably wouldn't carry it from very long before I put it down. Rhino is right that 329 is not fun to shoot but it is something that you'll carry and I would rather have have a 44 that is on my hip then something I've laid down because after a few days I'm now limping just my two cents. That quote just always kind of stuck in my mind.

skierhs

WKR
I carry the 329pd in griz country with “griz loads” which are 305gr hard cast lead loads. I’ve found that this was the sweet spot for being able to control my shot placement compared to a 454 casull or a 500. The 329pd is also far lighter and doesn’t get left behind for being “to heavy”. It is a plus my hunting partners carry a 44mag as well so we always have ammo around. If you can find some 44 special loads it’s an extremely enjoyable gun to shoot.