Grizz sighting around ID clearwater region

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine had a guy show him a picture of one he had on trail camera this past year real close to where he was elk hunting.

OP
Wassid82

Wassid82

WKR
that's the way things are heading again everywhere in Idaho

2 grizzlies were documented in the clearwater region last year.

The first was a collared male from the cabinet mountains that travelled all the way to the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness south of US highway 12. He was photographed by a trail camera at an outfitters black bear bait near Kelly Creek. He returned to the Cabinet mountains to hibernate.

The second was photographed by a hunters trail camera at one of his black bear baits near Elk City and does not have a collar.

Another male grizzly was killed in 2007 in Kelly creek.

No one should be surprised if more turn up in the coming years.

Latest update:

DNA testing of hair taken from the trail camera site confirmed this bear to be from the Idaho-British Columbia Border. The tracks are probably from the same bear, another hair sample was taken to make that determination. The location of the tracks is 20 straight line miles from the trail camera site.

Been in that area for awhile. Had this young boar in my bait in 2016

If that was in 2016 then the bear in your picture is a different bear. The bear from the article I posted was collared as a 1 year old in the Selkirks in 2017.

Is your picture from the Elk City area?

Spent a lot of time in this area growing up. Not gonna lie, not very excited about another predator entering the mix in coming years.

Off the locsha.

I thought that might be the case given your location in the Bitterroot Valley.

The most surprising thing to me about these bears, 4 now counting your pictures, is that they travel so far. There is a lot of country that is presumably empty of grizzly bears between the selkirks/cabinets and the lochsa/selway.

Just curious, did this bear keep returning to that bait site? We run baits in that general area and haven't seen any grizz yet.

jmcd22

WKR
IDFG saw tracks south of Grangeville. All the tree huggers in McCall better watch out...the bears might be having some "granola" for lunch in the near future!

EDIT: didn't see this was posted above...