Grizzly Attack

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Human in griz habit gets mauled and you all say hunt em to death. Let’s say an intruder comes into your home and you kill them, would a hunting season on you stop you from defending your home?

We as a group of hunters need a smarter argument..
Maybe reading comprehension isn't my thing but I didn't read where anyone said kill them all.
You sure can't avoid everywhere because it might happen to be a bears home that's just plain ridiculous.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
Human in griz habit gets mauled and you all say hunt em to death. Let’s say an intruder comes into your home and you kill them, would a hunting season on you stop you from defending your home?

Where did anyone say "hunt them to death"? Managing grizzlies in areas where they are mauling and killing multiple people every year (like W Yelllowstone, Ennis, etc) is a practical solution to any predator that has become too numerous to co-exist with the human population in the area. Are you seriously trying to compare shooting an armed home invasion criminal to managing an out of control grizzly population in a popular recreation area?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I just read he did have bear spray with him but it was unclear if he was able to use it. Sad story all the way around. Unfortunately these things do happen.

It's got nothing to do with revenge. It's about the GYE being past carrying capacity and well over the goal from when they were listed. The goal, as I understand it was around 600. The official count of grizz is 700ish, with many biologists believing there could be 1000 plus.

mwebs

WKR
Maybe reading comprehension isn't my thing but I didn't read where anyone said kill them all.
You sure can't avoid everywhere because it might happen to be a bears home that's just plain ridiculous.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Where did anyone say "hunt them to death"? Managing grizzlies in areas where they are mauling and killing multiple people every year (like W Yelllowstone, Ennis, etc) is a practical solution to any predator that has become too numerous to co-exist with the human population in the area. Are you seriously trying to compare shooting an armed home invasion criminal to managing an out of control grizzly population in a popular recreation area?

I’m in grizz country every time I recreate and I wouldn’t blame one for attacking me if I came up on them. So I’m absolutely not saying avoid their areas I’m saying don’t blame them or be surprised when shit hits the fans.

I guess my other point is the answer can’t always be kill them from us as a group of hunters. Grizz should be here, have been here and we are more constantly messing with their lives.

Maybe management via hunting is an answer or maybe we have to accept that some people are going to be attacked no matter what..

My example was just equating it to something simple you could understand. But I guess we should sterilize the backcountry so you can feel safe. I forgot that if we shoot a few they will tell their friends not to attack us.

mwebs

WKR
It's got nothing to do with revenge. It's about the GYE being past carrying capacity and well over the goal from when they were listed. The goal, as I understand it was around 600. The official count of bears is 700ish, with many biologists believing there could be 1000 plus.

I don’t disagree with this, but that’s not the sentiment that was being communicated here. Sick of the kill the grizz and wolves crowd. I’m for a grizz season although I think it creates a ton of issues for hunters that we don’t need and probably out weighs the effects a few dudes shooting some will have on attacks.

I’m for a grizz season although I think it creates a ton of issues for hunters that we don’t need and probably out weighs the effects a few dudes shooting some will have on attacks.
Unfortunately I think you're right. There would be a ton of negative press about a grizz hunt.

Elk97

WKR
I don’t disagree with this, but that’s not the sentiment that was being communicated here. Sick of the kill the grizz and wolves crowd. I’m for a grizz season although I think it creates a ton of issues for hunters that we don’t need and probably out weighs the effects a few dudes shooting some will have on attacks.
You are "sick of the kill the griz and wolves crowd" but NO ONE said that, or implied it (did anyone even mention wolves?). Do you agree that wild game management through hunting is an effective way to control the population? How is it different because it's a bear and not a deer or elk? Instead of getting all butt hurt because you think someone wants to kill every grizzly in creation maybe you would like to offer some advice on how to non lethally convince the bears to be nicer? And maybe express some concern for the guys family that was killed.

I hunt the same general area where this attack occurred every year and I can tell you there are way more grizzlies than the official estimates say there are. When you see a couple of bears every day while elk hunting, and people are getting drug out of their tents at the ski areas it might be a good idea to think about reducing the population before it's totally out of control. Reducing, not annihilation, big difference.

I’m now curious on how many times that bear was shot. 7 LEO’s packing heat with a charging griz. Had to be a few AR’s and 12 gauges going off.

I’m now curious on how many times that bear was shot. 7 LEO’s packing heat with a charging griz. Had to be a few AR’s and 12 gauges going off.

Shot or shot at?

A 2019 study of the Dallas Police Department found that in more than 130 shootings, officers struck their targets 35% of the time. Most of their shots were misses. And a 2006 analysis, which examined a number of major metropolitan police department shootings throughout the late '80s and early '90s, found that hit rates rarely exceeded 50%. Some departments, including the New York Police Department in 1990, hit only about 23% of targets.

Wrench

WKR
The component of hunting bears that is not mentioned in some of the more emotional responses is that hunting creates pressure. Pressure causes space and fear of humans.....it doesn't have to be lethal to be successful, but there's certainly some education that's gonna come from bears hitting the dirt and others watching it unfold.

I don’t want to dismiss this guys death and the pain of his family.

however, I am curious if anyone can point me to stats on all cause of injury and mortality in these back country areas? I am not sure how to exactly frame the ask but basically I am curious to see how many people are hurt or killed by bears vs falls or exposure or buffalo, etc. I don’t spend enough time in griz country to know. My brother is A big spear fisherman and they are quick to say more people die in car accidents on the way to the beach than get eaten by sharks. I get it but the discovery channel doesn’t dedicate a week of shows to car accidents. Just curious where this type of danger lies on the spectrum.

Gobbler36

WKR
I didn't read it that way. I think you're reaching.

I read it as he wasn't trying to get too close to a wild animal. Lots of dummies around Yellowstone wana get close for their instagram page.
The quote of them saying “he is a big believer in catch and release” made it sound that way. I hate the guy died but his sisters are idiots.

Slim Jim

WKR
Dam this sucks. I drew an elk tag in Montana this year and I probably won’t sleep at night on the hunt lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk